From:
Susie Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2012 12:05:33 -0500
In 2004 and 2005 while I was about "half" of The Ferret & Dove
Sanctuary, Inc, we were a haven for many displaced very-small pets of
people whose homes were wiped flat by Hurricanes ivan and Dennis in
2004 and some from Hurricane Katrina in 2005. We made sheltering-room
for many ferrets, rabbits, guinea pigs and a little brace of hamsters
which were all refferred TO us by the local cat-and-dog shelters which
absolutely could not handle nor care for them all. Thankfully in the
aftermaths, many of YOU fine shleters elsewhere in the country came
through in flying colors taking on our and other over-loaded shelters'
small charges (ferret shelters for the ferrets, house rabbit society
shelters for the rabbits and so-forth). The Ferret & Dove Sanctuary
has been totally closed for two years now but the experiences and very
certainly all the friends will never be forgotten! Here is the refrain
from within one storm-wracked shelter and i hope every other shelter
in the current storm's path fares as well as we had. (Thank you ALL
for "Being there"; and now brace up to "be there" for the current
shelters! :)

Oh, Hurricane? WHAT Hurricane?
We're having fun here, that's inane
Yes we know, outside's wind and rain
but Hurricane, WHAT Hurricane?
H. Ivan in two thousand-four
Came roaring through and what a bore
'cause next year we all braced for more!
One came through in two-thousand-five
our families' houses didn't survive
we're in this shelter, ALL alive
how many?, more than thirty-five!
while storms were passing, our ears popped
because of the low-pressure drop
How glad we all were when that stopped!
But well before the next big rain
and 'fore the next big Hurricane
we had fun playing once a-GAIN;
OH Hurricane, WHAT Hurricane?!

(here is the memorial page for the CLOSED Ferret & Dove Sanctuary...
http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/ferret_rescuer/index.html  )