From:
trina fleissner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2012 17:04:47 -0800
I've been working on a special package to send to a quiet residential
home in Yonkers, NY. This residence is the home of a dedicated animal
lover by the name of Joanne Debreen. I discovered Joanne this past
fall after initiating contact with a gal who was holding four ferrets
abandoned in an apartment on Long Island in NYS. We eventually
coordinated a pick up to get these kids to a better place. Driving from
western NY to the eastern border of our state, I wanted a specific
location for the ferrets to be held. I wanted to be sure they would be
there upon arrival. SUPPORT OUR SHELTERS TO THE RESCUE ONCE AGAIN! I
referenced the SOS shelter list, specifically shelters in NY. There
she was. One short phone call and I had my safe house! Joanne not only
offered to hold the kids in quarantine for 24 hrs, she took the time to
make contact to ensure the kids' temporary caretaker knew where she was
and how to get there.

Off to Country Max to grab food and ferrets supplies for our new
discovery, along with that I tossed in some ferret bedding, toys and
enhancements. My mantra...Never go to a ferret shelter empty handed,
Never go to a ferret shelter empty handed. I grabbed a ferret savvy
co-pilot and off we went. Yonkers here we come!

Joanne gave us a tour of her shelter. Clean, full, organized, lovely
ferrets all about. I spent time scooping up kids for hugs and belly
rubs while Joanne talked about her animal rehab program and her ferret
shelter of nearly 30 years. She has her local contacts, but has chosen
to lay low, keep her nose to the grindstone and establish education
programs with such places as Bronx Zoo.

I would love for my Christmas Wish, to have all the great ferret lovers
and admirers of those who care as Joanne does, to send her and e-mail
or card, or perhaps a small box for her kids. She does not post on the
Ferret Giving Tree or on the FML. She does, however work arduously
loving all her charges and keeping them as happy and healthy as
possible. If you have an extra moment, card or desire to send a small
package; I bet she would be surprised as all get out that she has been
discovered!

In an effort to respect her privacy (well sort of) and to encourage
people to become familiar with the SOS shelter list and work the site,
you can find her information there.
Go to http://www.supportourshelters.org/
go to "Ferret shelter list" and click on it, then go to the red
lettering and pick Illinois to N (for NY) click there.  Once you get
to the new page, scroll through the states passing N.H., N.J., N.M.,
until you find NY. Continue to scroll until you find Joanne in Yonkers.
Thank you!

Tell her Cathy from Brockport sent you....

Feed rescued animals in two clicks
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3