From:
Katharine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jun 2013 06:56:47 -0400
My vet recommends that Carafate/Sucralfate be given 20-30 minutes prior
to meals, and at least ONE HOUR prior to giving medications. Otherwise,
the meds may not be properly absorbed. He feels that any shorter time
before meds is not sufficient. If you give meds first (which would
defeat the purpose we are talking about), you should wait at least 2
hours before giving Carafate. I would prefer to err on the side of
caution rather than risk the drugs not doing their job.

I'm not sure exactly how Carafate would prevent vomiting. It would seem
likely the Carafate would be thrown up also. A better solution might be
to hand feed a very bland mix, giving the meds as part of the meal. If
this doesn't work, I would suggest an antacid (famatodine) be tried. I
give this about an hour before meals to one of my dogs. Check with your
vet to make sure this is safe for ferrets.

Before we get into an endless discussion about this, remember I am
offering what MY vet has recommended to me. This means you need to set
aside about an hour to accomplish this. Give the Carafate, wait 20-30
minutes and feed, wait 30 more minutes and give meds.

The liquid from a human pharmacy is very palatable. Just make sure you
give enough of it. My Carafate is 1 GM/10 ML. The dosage is 1.25ML.

Katharine
Florida