Date:
Mon, 20 Feb 2012 08:08:09 -0800
Our experience with both PetCo and PetsMart has been....... It all
depends on the manager of that store. We used to set up at our local
PetCos two Saturdays a month. One store manager was a total grump.

Each time we went in to set up, we never knew where he wanted us. A few
times we set up where the assistant manager told us to, the manager
came on duty and asked us to move. Playpen, table with displays,
ferrets. All while attempting to talk with interested people. We
finally quit going in to this store.

The other PetCo had a manager that could never remember which Sat we
came in even though I saw him write it on his calendar, and he had our
info on file. He made a point of reminding us that we *took up valuable
retail space*. We were told not to come in during Nov and Dec so there
would be more space for Christmas retail. We were at that store the
same Sat of the month for over two years. On our last time there, this
manager said he *never knew when we were coming in*.

We are now at PetsMart. One store is great, good manager, great
assistant manager, nice friendly employees. They go out of their way to
make us feel welcome and useful. Very busy store, obvious that people
appreciate good store management. The other store has a great manager,
not so great assistant. The assistant approached us about two months
ago to say we no longer had a spot for *education*. We do not adopt out
from the store without a home visitation and signed contract. When we
do adopt, we submit our paperwork to the store for their records. After
discussing this with the manager we have a compromise acceptable to
both us and him. The assistant isn't happy, and goes out of her way to
let us feel her displeasure. She needs to find another line of work
IMO.

For those planning to set up educational events, be careful how you
word things. Education is not adoption, both corporations want to add
numbers to their *adopted/saved animals* banner. Education doesn't have
numbers. Talk with the manager ahead of time, ask lots of questions,
get a copy of the contract you will sign.

I hope everyone has great experiences, and even better store managers
to help you in your efforts.

Ardith