From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jun 2011 22:11:41 -0400
Kevin, if you get a chance could you post the full numbers including
survivor numbers and death numbers, please?

That way if i am wrong about the total who became ill you can correct
me on that or any other essential points as needed. Feel free to
correct me as needed; you are there, but I am not.

The first IMPORTANT point from this: any shelters or anyone who adopts
or buys a ferret who has NOT had the full kit series -- and remember
that many people incorrectly think that original farm vaccine is all
that is needed and some pet stores encourage that fable -- NEED to
provide TWO CD vaccines in series, not just one. That also means that
a shelter which insists on vaccines before accepting ferrets NEEDS to
be careful on this score, too.

Again, see:
with Dr. Murray's recommendation on such ferrets:
>for adult ferrets I would suggest giving the distemper booster 3 weeks
>after the first dose. For kits I would give the distemper vaccine at
>6, 9, 12, 15 weeks of age (ie every 3 weeks).

The problem is not the vaccine type, it's that the timing was just
plain wrong for some of the ferrets since they had already been
exposed, and too many ferrets had not had two CD vaccines instead of
just one. It sounds like that is a common shelter mistake simply
because many did not know better, but after this tragedy hopefully
more will know and they will teach other shelters.

The second important thing to remember is that the treatment approach
saved a number of ferrets, so Kevin and the others at that shelter are
not only showing how to prevent problems but also how to save sick
ferrets.

The third important thing is always remember that when rumors get
passed a lot of innocent people get hurt. Statements wind up altered
and misattributed (even sometimes invented by the rumor monger), and
assumptions and accusations wind up made, including by third parties.
Usually in that situation really the only people who are at TRUE FAULT
are those who created the internet rumors. Of course, those who pass
rumors along without also putting correcting information only worsening
things for all. Meanwhile, people who just believe rumors need to
mature a bit on that score, I'm afraid. Why anyone would pass along a
rumor without checking with the principal people before mailing is
beyond me. Maybe it is just that some people have not yet lived enough
and learned, because it happens over and over again, every few years.

Don't hurt the innocent by blaming them for what OTHERS create, alter,
add to, assume and then send to lists and fora, please. Those others
tend to not be accurate on most aspects.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html