From:
Jennifer B <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2011 11:32:06 -0800
Thank you to everyone who has posted RE: Mike Tyson's new Animal Planet
(AP) series show on the Discovery Channel network (DCN). There seems
to be a mutual feeling of disgust for this man (esp. in regards to the
horrific treatment of the ferrets he had in his care) and therefore
many people have decided to not only NOT watch his upcoming show but
STOP viewing AP series/Discovery Channel programming all together.
This is, in my opinion, the best way to show the DCN execs that you
mean business as it's clear the "cookie cutter" email and snail mail
when you look at the latest AP series line-up of shows, so many are
RIDICULOUS and no longer educational but really just trying to capture
sensationalism of (UN)reality t.v. (Animal Hoarders, Pit Boss, Fatal
Attractions, River Monsters, Infested!, etc.) SNOOZERS!!

In order to REALLY make an impact, viewers must hit the DCN where
it REALLY hurts - in their pocketbooks - and that is done but NOT
SUPPORTING THE COMPANIES THAT SUPPORT AND ADVERTISE ON THE DC NETWORK!!
And not by just SAYING you won't support those companies - find out WHO
those companies are and write to them, too! (Good ol' Proctor & Gamble
is one with their Gillette shaving products ads on the AP website)
Taking that extra step DOES show the level of seriousness you feel and
I am certain the supporting companies WILL take notice. Companies spend
millions of dollars these days to capture consumers in every way they
can and know it's a tough business. If they feel like their marketing
$$$ is in jeopardy and not paying off, they WILL do something. There
is no loyalty between companies anymore - ESP. if a company (such as
the DCN) is creating negative press about themselves which, in turn,
creates declining retail profits for its sponsors because the viewers
choose not to support the network AND its sponsors. Advertisers do
NOT want negative press about their products and this includes being
ASSOCIATED with companies who are generating negative press about
themselves. It's too risky given the amount of money and potential
impact involved.

Despite what one might think, we the consumes have TREMENDOUS POWER TO
INFLUENCE and we need to EXERCISE THAT POWER! With regards to the DCN,
we can influence what programming is offered through the choices we
make to watch or not watch a program and by voicing our opinions
(freedom of free speech) to the network executives. Even if we get a
"cookie cutter" response, the sheer *volume* of emails being received
and responses sent out IS being measured and very carefully watched
and tallied. Also, we can FREELY choose what products and services we
are going to purchase (or not purchase) that are being advertised (via
television, radio, internet, billboards, etc.) by advertising companies
and firms. These companies are also watching very carefully to ensure
there is PROFIT in the marketing choices they make.

So I URGE EVERYONE to take the following steps to ensure your voice is
being heard:
1. Write to the DCN with your TASTEFUL opinion(s) and thoughts.
2. Find out the companies who sponsor/support the DCN and particularly
the ones who are running their ads during the Tyson show and voice
your opinions to THOSE companies as well (this would probably require
actually watching AP programs unless you get the info. from someone
who has watched)
3. DO NOT watch any DCN/AP programming OR only watch programs that
you believe are extremely beneficial to you but do NOT support the
advertising companies by purchasing their products

NOTE: Although I DO NOT WANT to watch ANY PART of Mike Tyson's new
show, I *DO* want to know what companies will be airing their
commercials during the show so I can contact THOSE companies with my
opinions and plan to NOT purchase their products/good/services. It
would be GREAT if there was a VERY, VERY limited audience of people who
did view the show simply for the purpose of letting others know who the
advertising companies were. We want to limit the amount of viewers of
this show as much as possible - EVEN IF people are only tuning in to
see the sponsors. We don't need but more than 1-2 people watching and
then those people could share the information broadly. I don't feel
the need to be "one of those people" watching because I couldn't
stomach to watch such a vile, repulsive man; I just want to receive
the sponsors' names.

<http://www.mediapost.com/publications/?fa=Articles.showArticle&art_aid=145344>
(Marjorie Kaplan, chief of DCN)

http://corporate.discovery.com/leadership/marjorie-kaplan/