From:
Amanda Riddlebaugh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Apr 2011 04:40:38 -0400
I think with all the worry I had for my ferret I totally overlooked
what was causing the watery stool. The other ferret (Trooper) had this
exact problem right when we switch him to Evo. We took him to the vet
and discovered that there were too many bacteria in the intestine. He
was put on antibiotics and got well in no time. Mury, on the other
hand, did not show signs of any watery stool at the time, probably
because I was still mixing the old food with the Evo to help them
adjust. I probably didn't notice she was only eating the kibbles from
her old food instead of the Evo ones. So when her old food ran out and
she had to eat Evo, her problem occurred much later. Unlike Trooper, I
didn't take her to the vet right away because everyone said it would
clear up. Two months later it hadn't and she seemed a little unlike
herself so I took her to the vet Friday for a fecal analysis and exam.
The fecal showed too many bacteria in the stool and the exam showed
she had a fever.

Same exact problem: too much bacteria in the intestine. Of course, her
case was worse than Trooper's. She's on antibiotics now and the problem
appears to be clearing up. I am pleased with the results Evo has given
me. The ferrets look great and enjoy the food, but if I knew the switch
was going to cost me $150+ in vet bills I probably wouldn't have done
it. Trooper has continued eating Evo even after he got better and has
been just fine with it, I expect Mury will too. I will continue to feed
Evo (mainly because I still have a whole bag and a half of it) but I
think I'll try to add another high quality ferret food in with it. =)
Thanks for all the replies and advice I received =) It was very
helpful.

-Amanda