From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 2010 00:30:09 -0400
This will probably rile up folks, but..... I don't believe in taking
my ferrets to the vet for every little thing. When I was a newbie, I
had a ferret that was adopted with adrenal disease. She had surgery and
lasted another 18 months. Without surgery, I've had similar results.
Why risk surgery when just making the ferret comfortable might be
enough? Taking blood, stools, surgery, shots and all the rest seem
extreme sometimes. I want my ferrets to last as long as possible - but
no matter what the problem they have, I have to look at quality of
life.

Who's to say who is right? What about when people thought it was good
to feed ferrets milk & bread or plain ol' cat food? There are more
methods in treating adrenal and other diseases. I've had several
adoptees with insulomia (sp) .... it was scary. Two were treated by
vets. Others - I gave them chicken baby food with corm syrup each
morning and again in the evening....they did just as well as the
others. In fact, the "soupers" had less stress, no scary vet visits,
no shortened lives - no seizures...... Am I wrong? Which ones had
more happiness - more loving - more peace?

Luckily, my ferrets have been pretty healthy - active, bright eyes,
good coats - they went to vets for shots and not much more. I love
them....always have.

[FO]