From:
Alexandra Sargent-Colburn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Oct 2010 18:10:23 +0000
Dear Linda-

Now, I only sampled *one* variety of TF and it was a very straight
forward event. Insert kibble into mouth, report. No audience. No
volunteers who ponied up money to actually *see* the tasting. Just me
and the kibble bag and the keyboard. In that sense it was very much in
the Hunter S. Thompson tradition of reporting. All I needed to make it
completely Thompsonian was a pistol and a bottle of ether.

*Your* challenge is considerably more complex, obviously. Camera.
Audience. Expectations. You must consider the appropriate degree of
showmanship. You did realize that you were going to have to cleanse
your palate between offerings, yes? On live camera? Well, of course,
that means only one thing...what is the appropriate wine to go with TF?

I am not familiar with the Active, Show and Pet formula. But certainly
the Turkey, Venison and Lamb formula suggests a red, rather than a
white wine. Or perhaps you might consider some neutral vintage that
suits neither variety simply for the sake of cleansing your palate
between samples? I'm thinking something white and very dry, like a
Pinot Grigio, Chenin Blanc, or perhaps one of the less fruity
champagnes.

The alcoholic in me (beaten into cowering submission lo, these many
years by a cruel and relentless Twelve-Step program) suggests a very
cold domestic beer. Something more along the Sam Adams line than say,
my neighbour Jim's favourite, Pabst Blue Ribbon. Judging by the empties
I see in the communal recycling bin each week, Miller Lite seems to be
the neighbourhood favourite. I, however, consider light beer to be the
Work of the Devil and very much to be avoided.

Now, Caff-Pow and Todd have several favourite beverages that they drink
with TF. In a pinch they will settle for cage water in a heavy plastic
bottle with a Lix-it nozzle. However, they much prefer water lapped
from the fish tank whenever possible. My hubby, Dann, has been known to
considerately hold Todd up to the surface of the tank for a long drink.
Caff-Pow's favourite beverage is a solitary pleasure, fresh cold water
lapped from inside the toilet bowl. (Never fear, he is WAY too big to
fall in and drown!) Just as an aside, I always remember to clean the
toilet bowl when I see the ring of enormous ferret prints the size of
quarters at the water line.

Whatever you choose, I hope you opt for something American in these
troubled financial times. I look forward to the show!

Alexandra in MA