Date:
Sat, 12 Jun 2010 19:26:42 -0700
I have been posting about my ferret Sprout off and on for a couple
months now. He had/has ECE. He has been been recovering for about 3
months now. I guess not really recovering he has been sick with it
for 3 months now.

His weight has gone between 2 lbs 3 ounces and 1 lbs 14 ounces. He has
a couple good days then several bad days, then a couple good days, the
several bad days and on like that. He has been going through this cycle
for weeks now and it seems the bad days are winning out over the good
days, because he doesn't recover enough during the good days to offset
the bad days. He goes from eating very well (licking the pureed chicken
from a syringe), and then eating some kibble, to only eating about half
and me having to insist he keep eating, to his all out refusal to eat
anything where I scruff him and carefully force him to eat some.

Currently we are in day two of the bad days part of his cycle. He
doesn't want to eat and trys to back up out of my arms or crawl over my
shoulder to get a way from the food. I scruffed him and forced him to
eat about 15 mls of food. Then I put him on the floor (he likes to wipe
his face and chin on the floor after being fed. Within 5 minutes he was
vomiting (not all of the food maybe a third of it). Now I feel like a
mean heartless brute for forcing him to eat.

I don't want him to die but if he is going to die I don't want his last
days to be a time of force feedings. I want his last days to be happy
and full of love.

Has anyone gone through this with their fuzzy, who can offer any words
of wisdom and encouragement?

Every time he has bad days I'm a wreck with worry. One his good days I
still worry but at least I feel encouraged. On his bad days I'm worried
sick and I see nothing encouraging.

Thank you

Mike