From:
Cindy Featherling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2011 17:03:06 -0500
I've been hearing all horrible stories about the ferret that supposedly
bit off the fingers of the baby. I just want everyone to hear my story.

I have taken in ferrets for the last 5 yrs. and currently have 16, all
but one are rescues. I also have taken in other animals at times. I
took in a big black and white rat that someone found in front of a
grooming shop. When I went to pick it up the lady told me it was really
tame. I did notice she was very careful when picking up the cage. When
I got home I was fixing up the larger cage with a wheel and house while
all the time the rat just sat in a corner and watched me. I spoke
softly to him and started to pet him. He bit me several times before
I could get my hand out of the cage and since I'm a bleeder there was
a tremendous amount of blood. I was shocked and had never been bitten
that hard by a rat before and was horrified when he started licking up
my blood. I had never been attacked by a rat and decided that I wasn't
going to keep him, then I took my bloodied hand and stuck in each
ferret cage under the nose of each of my ferrets. Not one of my ferrets
tried to lick the blood nor did they show any interest in the blood.
Yes, there are ferrets that nip and may bite a little hard, but I've
never had a ferret bite me the way that rat did, in fact the only
ferret that ever bit me hard enough to bring blood was my fault. She
had been badly abused and was sleeping in her hammock when I reached in
to pick her up without letting her know and I got bit. She doesn't bite
me anymore, but doesn't like others messing with her.

About the rat, I gave it to a person that has rats and knows how to
handle them. I just wanted others to hear my story

Cindy