From:
Jennifer B <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Sep 2009 00:26:43 -0700
The vet's office and I are PERPLEXED to say the least about an
infection (?) or possible skin rash/burn my Charlie has "acquired" and
we need help figuring out what's going on! And the more I read about
similar "issues" on the FML archives, the more I'm convinced this is
some kind of fungus but how could our vet not notice that? And what
is the best medicine (internal and topical) to use to treat a fungal
infection? I've been told "panalog" ointment is GREAT for topical.

HISTORY: About a month ago I suddenly noticed, out of the blue one day,
that Charlie had reddish-brown splotches/patches on the lower sides
of his mouth (underside of his chin) and at the pores at end of his
whiskers (I actually thought it was dried soup and tried to pull it off
but by doing that, I exposed raw skin as if it was a scab I had just
pulled off). Then, within a day after that I noticed Charlie's front
paws were slowing turning bright red and subtly but quickly swelling
up and the topside of the skin was getting crusty and flakey while the
bottom side (pads) were cracking and looking like there were warts on
the pads (fungal infection?) Also, his left eye was/is looking pinkish
and watery.

SYMPTOMS
1. Maroon-colored sores around mouth, chin, side of face. Look bright
   red when they appear but then turn brownish color as "scabs" form
2. Front paws bright red, swelling up, crusting, cracked skin on top.
   Underside of paws cracked, reddened, looks wart-like (back paws are
   in similar condition but not nearly as severe - just noticeable)
3. Red bumps have appeared on lower belly, under penis and same
   color/condition as sores on face
4. Penis is bright red and appears swollen sometimes
5. Numerous small mast cell tumors (?) appearing on lower back (and
   could possibly be what the "red bumps" are on belly

I began trying to think of what Charlie could have gotten in to and
thought that he had maybe sustained a chemical burn of some sort from
grass fertilizer since I had taken him out walking on the grass at a
nearby park several days prior (we do this all the time with no issues
though). Just can't think of anything else b/c I'm home all day with
him and nothing out of the ordinary has changed about our daily
routine. I've not changed laundry detergent (I've been using the same
brand for months now with no issues). Don't use harsh chemicals to mop
the floor and what I'm using is what I've always used with no problems.
I moved into my current apt. in April and was thinking that maybe
something with the new carpet has been brought to the surface with
vacuuming and is irritating the parts of him that come in contact with
the rug (he brushes his chin on it to get the soup off and his belly
and paws obviously touch the carpet). Maybe he's eating a *bad* batch
of kibble but it's Totally Ferret and I've had the bag for almost 6
months with no prior issues. Just throwing out any possible ideas . . .

The vet prescribed Benadryl thinking it could be allergies since it's
been bad here this season. After 2 full days of that, with no change
(only getting worse), took Charlie back and different vet (Dr. Cathy
Johnson-Delaney) took a much more thorough look at him and put him
on Cefa drops (.50 mL every 8 hrs) and Pred (.15 mL every 12 hrs and
gradually reduce dosage every 5 days). Charlie started getting much
better almost immediately and then a few days ago, when we were at the
end of the meds, the condition began flaring up again. Now we're back
to the beginning and it's looking just as bad as when it first began.
I'e also been soaking his paws in Domeboro, which the vet said was a
great method for soothing the irritated skin but it's hard to keep
Charlie IN the water unless I'm giving him soup.

I became convinced it was something in his soup although it's been the
same basic recipe for years with the exception of a new brand of omega
3-6-9 blend oils (for humans) I'd begun adding instead of just flaxseed
oil that I usually add in very small doses to each soup serving Charlie
gets 2x/day as a treat. As process of elimination, I stopped the soup
all together about 3 days ago but it doesn't appear now that that was
the problem b/c Charlie's condition is not getting any better (he's
still getting the Cefa drops and pred but drops are almost gone).

He's eating, drinking, pooping and peeing just fine and walks around as
if he's in absolutely no pain whatsoever but I am DYING b/c his paws
and face (chin) look HORRIBLE!!! I'm trying to wrack my brain about
what might be causing this irritation but am clueless!!!

ANY SUGGESTIONS?????