From:
TonyClarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jul 2009 02:06:03 +0100
As I have just obtained a book "Ferrets and Ferreting" by W Carnegie,
and others, dated 1904 I thought it would be interesting to post
extracts on keeping ferrets 100+ years ago. (copyright has expired)

GENERAL.
The ferret is the name given at this time to the albino only, and is
known to be a domesticated variety of the wild polecat, a cross between
the ferret (albino) and the wild polecat is called a polecat ferret
(now a sable). Despite the above sentence it does not seem to be
recognised that ferrets (albinos) are merely a genetic color variation
from the wild polecat that has been bred for centuries to produce a
pure albino strain. (indicating that this selective breeding was done
so long ago that there are no written records). NOTE: this really makes
no sense but curiously I have never read of an albino wild polecat ever
having been seen. (Tony) No color variations mentioned , or I suppose,
imagined. just albinos and polecat ferrets(sables), oh for the good old
days of common sense!.

BREEDING.
It is recommended that albinos and polecat ferrets always be bred
separately, and gives advice on breeding from good stock and avoiding
hobs and jills known to have produced weak or sickly kits, Only
outcross if litters deteriorate in quality (with the same type only,
albino or polecat ferret)

To crossbreed between albino and polecat ferret use hob polecat ferret
to jill albino only.

If using a wild polecat then only breed to albino.

RAISING YOUNG.
No observation or handling of the young is allowed before five weeks.
At six weeks the kits will start to be given the same food as the
mother (diet discussed later), and can start being handled

At 12 weeks the ferrets should be being handled every day and trained
to come to voice commands at feeding time.

The next sentence is a direct quote.
"Finally it may be noted that ferrets live five or six years, but it
is well known among breeders that that they will not live long if not
allowed to breed. This applies to both sexes. A doe ferret will
sometimes die the first time she is refused access to the buck."
NOTE: We now know why entire jill ferrets die if not bred but it may
be true that entire hobs die from a lifetime (shortened) by hightened
sexual frustration and raised hormones. (Tony)

More next time on diet, health and housing.

Tony
Ferrets rule OK.  (Well, mine rule me)