Date:
Sun, 5 Oct 2008 03:40:03 -0500
Hey, Orkle - I mean Oracle! Are you trying to tell me that not only
will I have to deal with da Wolfy critter, but that she of the waddles,
the Suke-meister, the CRANDALL, will need to be reined in as well? Dear
me! What IS the ferret world coming to?

Well, since you are doing a ROLE call, I will share MY role in the
upcoming symposium. I will be the one getting edjumacated! Yup, right
there on the back row (I am a Baptist) with my tablet of paper and
finely sharpened pencil, remembering the fun I had cooking for all the
NON-Southerners at the shelter dinner the night before - a fresh cup of
dark roast, highly caffienated coffee just waiting to be knocked over!

I will sit with baited breath while I listen to the chemotherapy
protocol of Dr. JOERG MAYER from Tufts' Small Animal Clinic. Although
he and his staff have treated many of my ferrets during my time in New
England, I have not had the opportunity to hear him speak to a group of
more than 10 - usually the students following him around. Clutching my
substitue for a ferret fix I will also sit on the edge of my chair - or
sneak up for a closer look - while the versatile and lovely Dr. SANDRA
MITCHELL, a recent transfer to New England, talks to me of things
beyond my understanding - affairs of the heart! And I will gratefully
poise on the edge of my chair as Dr. BOB WAGNER - a local - prepares
me to receive that first pregnant throw-away that I just did NOT
expect to see cross my threshold! And, that is JUST on Friday!

Saturday is always hard for me! I am SO glad that Linda allows us to
sleep a bit later, but by the time I get to the room, those morning
people have already bounced through the breakfast treats and headed
for the never-empty coffee fountain. <sigh> What is an owl to do?
Well, THIS year, it is time to turn it over to the AMAZING FEMALE
VETS who treat our little fuzzbutts!

Grabbing a cup of java, I will re-assume my post in the back row to
listen as Dr. KAREN PURCELLl discusses new infectious diseases that
threaten our little weasels. She will probably have those enticing
photos of something that does NOT look like my breakfast and I will be
enthralled - forgetting once more where I put my coffee! And, Dr. RUTH
HELLER - another local - will then pull out the stats and share with
us all about distemper in our little guys and how this titer study is
something to be taken very personally by YOU! Have you ever had a
ferret react to a distemper vaccine? Do you - or someone you know -
have experience with distemper? I know of one case that stumped the
vets, too, until they finally got the diagnosis. And, ya know what?
That ferret was vaccinated. So, yeah, listen up with me and those cups
of coffee can just grow cold. Dr. SANDRA SNELL will discuss alternative
treatments - something that is ALWAYS good for a lively discussion of
the FML! Why not join us and see what you don't know? I will definitely
be standing closer to the podium by then! Then, one of the most
innovative and determined vets I know, from North Carolina comes Dr.
LAUREN POWERS to help us know when to say when. I know that she goes
out of her way to help a ferret that wants to fight continue its
battle. However, knowing what they can teach us after they leave is
so important, too. Oh, but that is NOT all for Saturday!

The finale is a vet panel! All the vets in the room are invited to
join in and answer questions. I love this! It is so cool to listen in
as they all discuss every aspect of the questions from the audience.
There are the general, simply answered questions that some ferret
owners can answer - and there are the ones that are so far over most
people's heads that even the vets discuss them with questions! Wow!
Can you imagine being privy to that?!? And, this is ALWAYS far too
short for me. But, many times these discussions continue at the
Saturday night reception!

These are the vets who will be sharing their knowledge with us. There
will also be people like behaviorist Ailigh Vanderbush, legislative
affairs expert David Gaines, photographer Jeanne Carley, shelter
operator Barb Carlson, small breeder Danee DeVore and, a F.E.R.R.E.T.
board member!

I am SO excited. Especially because immediately AFTER the symposium I
will be headed to Alaska! I have vacillated back and forth over this
decision since August and the adventurer in me just can not pass it
up. So, if you are living in Alaska, come on down and join me. If not,
please come and say "See ya later!" and I will reply "After while,
crocodile!" And, Sukie will say, "Too soon, Baboon!" and - well you
get it! See you in Pittsburgh!

Renee - you betcha!
The Sunshine Bunch - Odie, Skitch, Duncan & Isadora - Yep, us, too!

--
Renee Downs
"Eventually we will realize that if we destroy the ecosystem we