From:
Debby Osburn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 May 2008 09:19:52 -0700
This is a story I wrote about my Ozzy that I had to release to the
rainbow bridge. After reading Rachel's post about Pukka I knew how she
was feeling. I had just been through it with Ozzy. He had started to
lose the ability to get to the litter box and I started finding him
covered in poo in the mornings and in my heart knew his time was short.
I wanted him to be able to go with dignity and not pass in his sleep
covered with poo. It was a very hard decision but I owed it to him. You
will understand after you read his story and this is just a small part
of Ozzy's gentle soul.

                                Ozzy

This is a story of the most gentle soul one could ever meet. Ozzy came
into my life during the flood of 2002 at Canyon Lake,Texas. He was
spotted going down the river in the flood waters among all the other
debris by a man that happened to have a dip net and he was able to
scoop Ozzy up and rescue him. At the time I was working at the No-kill
animal shelter at the lake that I helped start several years before and
this kind man walked in with this very frightened, wet ferret. Lucky
for me I was the only ferret person there so I took him home warmed him
up and got him an appointment with The Universal City Animal Hospital
to have him checked out for any injuries. He checked out ok so we of
course had to do the ADV, and start the shots because there was no
history with him. We put him on Amoxie just in case of any bacteria he
may of picked up from the dirty water. He was estimated to be between
4-5 years old.

Ozzy began traveling with Gary and I all over the US and was sort of
an ambassador in educating people on what ferrets were and their care.
We started adding more to our ferret family and they seemed to be all
girls and Ozzy was enjoying his little harem so much that when we tried
to bring in a couple males from SAFE he ,this gentle soul would have no
part of it and went into his first ever attack mode. He clearly made it
known that this was his harem and he wasn't going to share.

Then one day I get a call that there was a ferret down in Arransas Pass
that needed rescued right away so off I go and get this little guy and
bring him home. Beautiful little albino but that night I noticed
something wasn't right with how he was just licking the food not eating
it so of course off to the vet next morning and find out he is a very
sick little boy with what was thought to be mega esophagus and ended up
in the hospital for a week. They were able to save him and $700.00 and
several cuss words for the idiot in Aransas Pass later he was able to
come home and join the rest.

Ok now remember my gentle soul, Ozzy ,except when another male comes
close to his harem, well when I put Little Bitz down to slowly
introduce him to the rest Ozzy went over to him, smelled him, laid down
beside him and then as I am on alert to grab, Ozzy laid his head across
Little Bitz's neck and just stayed there as if telling him all was
going to be ok. That night they slept together and never did Ozzy every
attack this new male , like he knew he needed a special friend . That
is my Ozzy my gentle soul . On May 1,2008 I had to release sweet Ozzy
to the bridge. He was around 11 years old, blind,i nsulnoma and
adrenal. Ozzy was never sick until a year ago. He loved his cheerios
and I am hoping he has a constant supply now. I have lost many, many
animals in my life with my rescue of domestic and wildlfe work and my
ownership of my own but never has the loss been this deep.

In loving memory of Ozzy

We love you Mom & Dad
Buddy,Bandit,Cuddles,Little Bitz
Missy,Peanut and baby Sidney