From:
Ann Haager <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 May 2008 11:40:16 -0400
Hey guys. We recently had Lupi in for surgery and he was recovery well
until this last week. Just to give you the background so you don't have
to go searching...He was 'posturing' and grunting and sqeaking with
pain while trying to go potty. We thought at first, constipation, so we
watched him for a little while to see if he'd go potty finally. After 4
hours of not being able to go at all we took him down to the emergency
clinic. Well, they drained his bladder to help him for the next few
hours until we could get him into our regular vet for surgery. They did
surgery and removed the left adrenal gland, the spleen (which had a
ruptured abscess on it), a blood clot out of the bladder, drained the
bladder and the prostate. He was doing so great after surgery within
24 hours. But recently (within the past week) he's been having pain
while urinating again. Fortunately, he's able to pee and poop, but
unfortunately he's in pain. So we took him back to the vet, and he said
the prostate is slightly enlarged again and his urinalysis did show an
infection. So he put him on Clavamox which he's been taking twice a
day for 5 days now. Called the vet Tuesday and said we hadn't seen an
improvement so he added Baytril once a day to the Clavamox. So he's
received 2 doses of that. Today he seems to be in more pain while going
potty. He's still pooping and peeing and eating and drinking plenty,
but he's dribbling pee (which the vet hopes to stop) and he grunting
and squeaking in pain.

So now that you know the background up until now...my question is,
does anyone have any suggestions on what we should do? I know we need
to give the antibiotics more time, but it just hurts me for him to
hurt...I cringe every time he goes potty. Lupi is a little over 7 years
old. He wants to live so we need to get him better so he doesn't have
to live with this pain. He gets frustrated some times and paces before
going potty. Also, we have him on some herbal remedies, saw palmetto,
milk thistle and vitamins (just a few drops each twice a day, non
alcohol)

I sure would appreciate all the help we could get. I feel so bad that
we aren't making him better. He does love to run around the house
though.

Dooks & Dances
Ann