From:
Vicki Montgomery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 2008 07:37:27 -0800
I have long been a proponet of, "let's don't throw the baby out with
the bath water", meaning don't over react to a few incidents of
occurence, whether illness or injury. Common sense precautions should
always be taken in everyday life, but hysteria can cause more problems
than caution.

When discussions originally surfaced concerning taking ferrets outdoors
I took the stand of, "a few incidences of infection, even death,
should not prevent everyone from allowing their ferrets to enjoy the
outdoors". This is not an indifference to a tragedy that may have
occurred, but rather a thoughtful consideration. For example - if a
high school senior ( or several high school seniors) attending school
in Minneapolis get spinal meningitis, should high school seniors in
Buloxi fear getting the same disease. No. With geographic differences
and other circumstances at work, there is not a reasonable expectation
of a widespread epidemic.

Let the hammer drop - softly - but it has come down. While I still
feel the risk of anyone, including our ferrets, of contracting
Cryptosporidium is not epidemic, there seems to be evidence from the
CDC that Cryptosporidium infections are on the rise in humans.

The addressed source of infection is primarily swimming pools. While
the AIDS virus and our canine friends nemisis, the Parvo virus, and
even our own ferret's ECE are killed by bleach, Cryptosporidium seems
to be much more resistant to death-by-chemical. Boiling is one method
stated to kill Cryptosporidium, but you can't boil your yard. The
protoza are resistant to free cholorine and it takes time for solution
to be effective.

http://www.cdc.gov/nczved/

Actually the CDC has several articles concerning Cryptosporidium

http://www.cdc.gov/search.do?q=chlorine+to+kill+hiv

Hydrogen peroxide and ammonia are reported to kill Cryptosporidium,
but I doubt it would work, nor is it practical, to treat your yard
or the local park where you ferrets may explore.

And I have to wonder - if humans are more likely than not permanently
infected, once they do become infected, are our pets who survive also
perpetually infected?

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/brochures/crypto.htm

Just food for thought.

Vicki Montgomery
Tricks and Treats Rescue Greater Houston/Galveston Texas
713-472-6599

"Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things,
man will not himself find peace." ~ Dr. Albert Schweitzer