From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2008 02:52:07 -0500
Here we are, so soon after the VA rescue which could have been
prevented if the person had felt free to ask for help, and what do
a few Nosy Parkers do? When Arlena has to ask for help because of
situations that are beyond her control (what sound from second hand
accounts like housing regulations and a nosy neighbor with a big mouth
who has little charity) some talkative people here and on some other
ferret lists show that they haven't learned a blasted thing about
modifying their own behavior to make it easier for people to ask for
help. Hey folks, when create rumors or spread rumors you are not part
of the solution, but are instead part of the problem.

The fact of the matter is that if ferrets are to be saved then people
need to feel that they have someplace to which they can turn for help.
Luckily, this time there were people who stepped up and helped the
person who so loves these ferrets.

So, bravo to Vicki, Jackie, Julie, and the others who saw to it that
this FML member's ferrets got help because you are wonderful and
constructive lifesavers, and bravo to Arlena for first placing the
ferrets before her own comfort by seeking help for them, and then later
helping any other FML member about whom third parties may have begun
a rumor by revealing her own identity. That lady has class and honor!
First she helped ferrets and then she helped ferret people. May we all
be so strong and so giving when we find ourselves needing to be.

For those noisy and nosy few of you who didn't learn before this time:
mistakes teach, so let this time prevent you from being hurtful in ways
that endanger ferrets and ferret people the next time around. This is
written in hopes that the next time that someone needs help enough
people will remember that giving it means withholding judgement and
listening rather than speaking prematurely and in ways that could do
damage.

If some few of you here on the FML have to be annoyed at me for
scolding then so be it, as long as you think enough about the damage
which could have happened and learn, so that ferrets and the people
who love them are sure to be helped the next time around.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links: