From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2008 11:14:41 -0500
This comment in the FML confused me:
>Yes we know that the ferrets were dirty. Why didn't she ask for help?
>Maybe it was because the only person she could trust to help her was
>me and I could not get down there to do much as I am like 3000 miles
>west of her in Nevada!

How could anyone NOT have trusted people locally? There are shelters in
her own state, ones in nearby NC, others in other nearby states. There
are ferret organizations and ferret breeders in those areas, many of
whom are used to treating large numbers of ferrets.

I'm sorry, but I have people I trust within doors of me, others I trust
in my town and neighboring towns, and still more.

Your statement really knocked me for a loop.

Should this statement be true rather than an expression of personal
frustration then more clearly than anything it would say that hoarding
had begun. The inability to think that others can provide care for
animals is THE chief hallmark of hoarding. If that was actually
expressed to you then that is sad for yet another reason, but I realize
that this may simply be an expression of your own frustration at seeing
a dear friend in such pain, Fred.

I don't think most people want to "shoot our wounded", Fred. I think
that most people want to UNDERSTAND to prevent future situations, and
understanding often means that knowing details is important. On the
other hand, I DO think that a few people early on took sides before
learning more details and that is not constructive and sometimes can
cause problems. The big things now are to:

be supportive when possible in whatever way

give the benefit of the doubt to everyone

seek hard data

help find good and knowledgeable homes for the remaining ferrets

get together a support system that is well known so that it can be
used in the future

share resources like those which have already been posted so that
people can learn

have her friends gather around Carole and try to figure out just what
happened in those weeks beforehand, what she still needs or now needs,
how they can provide it or help find it for her because there are sure
to be new needs with a court case coming and old needs with her health
problems having imposed themselves upon her for so long

etc.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links: