Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2008 22:22:14 -0600
RE: "Has anyone dealt with a ferret with a sprain/strain rear leg? How
longdoes healing take? Should they not be able to "limp" on just the
three and this type of frog legging is normal and not indicative of a
spinal or other issue? He is quite large at 3.7lbs so a lot of weight
to lift."

My ferret, Cinnamon, once took a fall which resulted in a pretty bad
sprain. This happened pretty late one night and we poked, prodded, and
basically determined that it was not a break. We called the vet who
said that we could do an emergency visit where she would take X-rays
(for the bargain price of around $500). However, there would not be a
whole lot she could do for a sprain besides rule out more serious
complications. We decided to install a couple of extra cage ramps for
easier access and help him about a little more during free time. It
took about two weeks, but he healed up just fine. I hope this helps
and that your fuzzy heals up soon.

Best,
Ellana