From:
Michael Capps <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2008 06:04:41 -0800
I have a DEW who is about 4 years old, lived at the breeder's for about
3 years. His living conditions was a little box/cage outside with very
little shelter from the elements, so when we got him he was a terrible
bitter. His fear level was greater than any ferret I'd ever seen. When
he bit he sunk his teeth in as deep as they would go. It took about 6
months of working with him to not be afraid and not to bite. Now the
worst he does is play nip (he can pinch hard but has not broken skin
for the last couple months, and even his play nipping is getting
better.

After he was rescued from the breeder's he was fixed but not desented.
Note he was fixed while in rut. He is in good health we have not
noticed any problems with him. He plays jumps, dances, runs, climbs,
hides his favorite toys.

He has been living in a cage with 1 female and 3 other males for
several months now (with play time outside of the cage, everyday, with
these same ferrets. All of these ferrets have been fixed and none are
adrenal.

Now all of a sudden this week I noticed him acting like he wants to
breed with the other ferrets in his cage. He has only done this twice
so far, each time I take him out of the cage and let him run off the
energy in the play area. When he was trying to breed he did have a half
an inch bulge where his privates use to be.

Is it possible that the vet that neutered him didn't do it right or did
an incomplete job of the neuter? I'm not sure how much is removed when
they're neutered. When he has exibited this be havior he does have a
half inch bulge thingy.

Any ideas? I would hate to have to seperate him from the other ferrets
but I'm getting ready to do this.

Thank you

Mike