Date:
Sat, 2 Feb 2008 21:49:39 EST
I guess it's time to come out of my closet and whine or cry. My heart
is totallh broken for this poor shelter owner Carole Mc Craig who lost
her "family" when the local ASPCA removed all her animals. She sounded
good caring person who just go ill unexpectedly. Yes, she should have
asked for help long before this but the way siome people have gotten
flamed on here when they had a problem or someone tried to help a
person with a problem, she may have been embarrassed or afraid. I
just can't imagine having people come in and just take all that you
have cared for, worked for, and loved for so many years. It would have
totally destroyed me. I hope she reads the FML and see all the support
here. To learn that over half your "family" was euthanized adds insult
to injury and makes for an even heavier heart.

I agree with Kim, a network is needed to work with shelters in trouble.
It should be one where you would never be emb arrassed to go to. Even
if all info. is kept private by this group. Some shelters need money,
some need volunteer help. Some need longterm assisstanc and some need
just a few weeks help. Sort of like SOS who helps people monetarily.
Some may just need someone to talk to. Rene Downs (along with many
other excellent ferret organizations) is working on organizing a
wonderful new group. Maybe some one should be in touch with th ASPCA
and let them know there are ferret people out there and maybe they will
set up a protocol for ferrets who have been rescued by them. Someone
they can contact whenever they have a large confiscation and find out
how to care for the elderly ferrets rather than just euthanizing them.
I don't know if this is possible but just an idea.I should be national
so all the local ASPCAs can just go on line and look up the protocol
and follow it. Maybe this is just to easy for them but I don't know. I
hope many who know Carole will send a letter to the judge or go with
her to court to attest to all she has done for ferrets.

Most of all I just want to say, Carole, thank-you for all you have done
to save 1000's of ferrets. It sounds like you did an excellent job and
what has happened to you never should have happened. Something to be
learned from this? More people/shelters have to stay in personal touch
with each other so someone is aware of where the help is needed. God
Bless you, Carole!