From:
Leah Drobel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Feb 2008 14:20:13 -0500
I am so happy, I have to share this with ferret people! Roscoe had been
acting rather listless and not eating as well as usual, so I had taken
him to my local vet here in southern NJ, as there is one vet there
that has had (some) experience with ferrets. She took 3 different
glucose tests on different days, said his level was 47 (same reading
every time???) and put him on pedipred. I then decided to get a 2nd
opinion and traveled to Cherry Hill, little over hour away to see Dr.
Kupersmith, as I was told he had alot of experience with ferrets. At
this point, Roscoe had been on the pred for 2 wks. He did glucose
fasting test, it showed 111. He put Roscoe on 3 different meds in case
he had some type of infection, and as time went on we slowly weaned
Roscoe from .5 ml 2 x daily to .25 once a day. Today Roscoe went back
to Cherry Hill vet, and his glucose was 88, AND he has gained weight!

I am soooo happy! Since last night was his last dose of pred, we will
return to the vet in a few weeks just to make sure, but things are
looking good! I am soooo relieved, as this is a ferret I found last
summer in my yard, and I don't know his history. Dr. Kupersmith said
that he had 7 ferrets to see today....I will surely use this vet in
the future for my little guy!

Oh, one more thing, last week Roscoe started giving me kisses on my
chin!