Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2008 07:20:10 -0800
Rev J.Gordon Of Arrowranch said:

I believe the state needs to better control the sale of ferrets. Not
to make them illegal but to better qualify those who gets one. The
state also needs to take better control of ferret rescues,....

WHOA! Hang on there! Be careful what you wish for! NO STATE should have
"control over the sale of ferrets!" And certainly NOT take control of
ferret rescues! And the State should ABSOLUTELY NEVER be THE qualifier
as to who may obtain or retain a ferret!

There is enough government running amok among our daily lives and
influencing what we can and cannot do without relegating ferret
control to a state authority!

Case in point - California for one.

If control of ferret sales is turned over to the state - which breeders
will the state promote? Those with the friendliest ferrets? Healthiest?
Most Colorful? Most traditional? How about, as most always happens, the
breeder with the most political influence; ie, a lobby group or biggest
campaign contribution?

If the state is to qualify who gets a ferret and who doesn't which
guideines will the state recommend? Free roam 24/7 of the home? Or
90% caged, 10% free? How about a 80/20 split? Or a 75/25? Or 50/50?
Or 60/40?

Will ferrets be allowed in homes with other pets or children? How many
ferrets will each home be allowed to own? Will the ownership of such
ferrets be according to gender of animal?

How often will the state be required to follow up on the ferret keeping
and will you be willing to leave your home open to inspections at will?

Who is going to write the rules that the state will have to enforce?
What will the fines be for infractions? How many infractions does an
owner get before having to relinquish the ferret?

Before you go wishing to relinquish control of ferretship to the
states, be absolutely 100% certain you know exactly what you are
asking for!

Putting the governement, ANY government in absolute power or authority
does in NO way resolve the original problem! Instead it often creates
MORE problems as well as can be extremely difficult, if not nearly
impossible to reverse once the state has gained such control!

The over abundance of unwanted ferrets rests squarely upon the
shoulders of several people: Ferret mills, pet shops, breeders, and
uninformed impulse buyers. But before we point fingers at "uninformed
buyers" how many of us got our first ferret after actually DOING
homework FIRST? How many of us learned as we went? How many of US made
mistakes in ferret care over the years? How many of us have evolved in
our ideas of proper ferret care? HOw many have had ferrets in the past
and now with new ferrets have revamped our ways? How many of us got
our first ferret as an IMPULSE buy?

How many of us got our first ferret(s) from a pet shop - which most
likely got their stock from a mill? How many of us got MORE ferrets
from a pet shop? Thereby creating MORE instances for ferret breeding
at the mill?

How many got more ferrets from a shelter or offered shelter to ferrets
needing rehoming thereby eliminating at least a few instances for
breeder replacements?

PREVENTION of such numbers of unwanted ferrets rests squarely upon
the shoulders of those of us who DO own ferrets! It is IMPERATIVE and
INCUMBENT upon us as "knowledgeable" owners to inform others about
the needs of ferrets.

How many people have you talked to about ferret ownership this week?
Were you truthful about the unpleasant parts; persistent oops poops and
their clean ups, confinement issues, inevitable nips and play bites,
medical issues, veterinarian needs, odors, fleas, mites etc; as well as
talking about the glorious benefits and fun of ferret companionship?
Did you make it perfectly clear that ferrets are NOT just huge gerbils,
hamsters or guinea pigs and that they are NOT cage pets - which is
totally contrary to the perception all pet stores and many ferret
breeders portray?

Knowledge is power and those of us who ARE responsible ferret owners
NEED to, HAVE to, inform the unknowing wannabe ferret owners in order
to help prevent the hordes of unwanted ferrets that inundate our
shelters!

But is this knowledge something the STATE needs to control? certainly
NOT!

The situation in Va, is disconcerting. Especially how many animals
supposedly just HAD to be euthanized due to dehydration issues? Seems
to me that Sub Q fluids would combat dehydration rather swiftly and
fairly safely for the animals.

As to the stock piles of frozen cadavers - many vet's offices do the
very same thing. But I guess since a vet is "state licensed" its o.k.
to stockpile animal cadavers in freezers?

But then again from what I've read it was a "government" official
(animal control) that made this decision. Not exactly a good precursor
to the idea to turn over control and qualifying care is it?

I definitely think that governemnt control is NOT the way to go -
however a shelter network and roster of available volunteers or helpers
would be a better way to go. Each shelter I am sure, rather like each
ferret owner, feels their shelter is best for the rescued animal(s),
but all too often the shelter caretaker can become overwhelmed and as
we've seen, hesitant to ask for help they themselves are willing to
give. A shelter network of volunteers and helpers would offer a
starting place to glean available hands until the original caretaker
is back on their feet.

Please NIX the idea of STATE controls!

Regards, Kim