From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Dec 2007 18:31:00 -0500
I don't think that there is any problem at all that people are
discussing what went right OR what went wrong with the rescue. Both
things did happen. Both things have lessons from which everyone can
learn to best help ferrets the next time.

What IS falling flat is not so much the points which are being made,
but the WAYS some people are making them. Rudeness and nastiness
distract thoroughly from a person's points. All that readers remember
are the insults and the flame baiting. How does that help anyone? Maybe
it temporarily makes the the screamer feel better but it creates enough
annoyance in others that long term it fails all.

Mostly fighting here fails the ferrets.

There have been many rescues before, and there will be many, many
rescues in the future. If we are to help ferrets what we need to do is
to learn from each rescue, both what worked and what did not. Normally,
there are some people who complain. This time there seem to be
substantially more than usual. While that may seem irritating, it does
say that there is vast room for improvement over the way things were
done, so there is a strong need to understand what is actually being
said -- not easy when angry words hide meaning. Yes, it is also just
as important to hear what worked because a lot did -- and again those
points get lost when there is anger expressed.

I think most people here have the ability to write well enough and
think well enough that points on each side can be made without
nastiness. Because i prefer to assume the best of people I might be
over-estimating people's abilities, but I don't think that I am.

Perhaps there is a mid-ground for the monetary questions. Maybe those
who have never done a rescue need to realize and accept that the
reasons behind some expenses will escape them. On the other hand, there
might be better and more fiscally logical ways to handle multiple
expenses.

One thing, though, comes out again and again and that one thing is that
multiple donors/volunteers have expressed themselves in ways which show
that they felt insulted, neglected, or both. For that a solution DOES
need to be found. A person can't stand without a spine, and similarly
the backbone of any large project is the crew of people who give their
labor and money to help.

Let's find ways to make that work better next time, and then let
bygones be bygones, and let's CONSTRUCTIVELY tackle possible solutions
for other aspects of large rescues, such as avoiding ferrets going to
hoarders or breeders, avoiding the risk of spreading medical problems
(Imagine if there had been Canine Distemper, ADV, or that particularly
nasty coccidia which killed many ferrets in shelters in the last two
years.), etc.

This is a good topic, a very good one. It is one which has the
potential to save an absolutely huge number of ferret lives IF people
do not undermine it and waste everyone's time with fighting, so stop
trying to score points or win because you aren't doing so -- no matter
which side you are on. Stop fighting and discuss the actual issues in a
constructive way. Then things will be as they should: the FERRETS will
win.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links: