Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2007 08:34:01 -0500
Kimberly:

Sometimes the right decision is also the hardest one. We went through
something similar early this year, but our Neo had aggressive
insulinoma, maybe even pancreatitis, and was deteriorating pretty
rapidly, despite surgery and Pred and Diazoxide. When he had his first
(and only) violent seizure, despite us diligently giving him food and
meds every 4 hours, we knew it was time. We made his last weekend with
us peaceful and loving and did everything we could, and he was okay for
those last two days. Then on Monday we took him to the vet and held him
and spoke to him as he was put to sleep. I still can't speak or write
about this without getting tears in my eyes, and this happened back in
January. But, we did the right thing FOR HIM. Ferrets live to play,
dook, and get into mischief. When that spark is gone, and they cannot
muster up enough energy to do anything but sleep and look up at us for
help, then they have little or no quality of life left. They are also
very stoic, and hide much of the pain they may be experiencing.

I believe that the last great act of love that we can show them is to
help them to leave this world in peace, with our love and the sound of
our voices surrounding them, and not wait until the only thing that
they know is pain and desperation. You will know in your heart when
this time comes. That is when you must think of your ferret and only
your ferret, not your own need to hang on. He needs this from you,
he needs you to be strong, and only you can make this decision.

Jeff
In Memory of Neo
Caring for Trinny, Morphy, Baby Girl, and Luna