From:
Lisa Oestereich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2007 13:14:45 -0400
This is HSUS' answer to the many, many requests for assistance in the
Ohio Ferret Rescue. I spoke with Ann Chenoweth this morning. Basically,
since they do not know the shelters that are taking in ferrets and
therefore cannot discern between a ferret shelter and a hoarder they
cannot provide spay and neuter assistance. They can provide spay and
neuter assistance to local Humane Societies, SPCA's etc (but chances
are, those folks don't need assistance -- but if they do, Ann is the
person to call). I think most of us can appreciate that we don't know
everything about every shelter in the United States. And if we, the
ferret community, don't know, how can we expect HSUS to know?

She also mentioned that the hoardes of nasty emails didn't motivate
her bosses to help us at all. It only hurt our case with them. So, if
you're mad and never want to donate to them again -- fine -- don't
donate. But don't send hostile emails and letters. It's not going to
make them change their mind and it only pushes our cause further back
into the "circular file".

Maybe a better approach would be to make contact and network with our
local humane societies and aspcas and work through them. I mean, if
you could get them to request 10 ferrets for your shelter (because you
already have a relationship with them) than why not work that way?
Then everybody gets what they want and what they need. So if you don't
already know your local SPCAs and Humane Societies, get to know them
and sign up as a shelter willing to take in ferrets from them. I
know, I know nobody needs more ferrets, but you have to establish a
relationship. And usually the people at this level are wonderful and
have extensive animal networks in place.

Can we PLEASE put this to rest now? We have enough to do right now
without going over this a hundred more times. Wake up folks, I don't
see ANY group on the horizon that is going to step right up and help
us. It's up to us -- the ferret shelters and ferret owners/ lovers
of this country to bail ourselves out of these messes. Why not
form a group of people (thru IFC, ELF, F.E.R.R.E.T or whoever) with
representatives from every state, who will activate in these (and
other emergency) circumstances? Let's get our shit together because
the cavalry isn't coming. And PLEASE leave the HSUS alone so that we
can try and work their system the next time we need to (now that we
know how).

Lisa Oestereich
F.E.R.R.E.T.
Friends of Ferret Shelters