From:
"D. bones" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2008 19:48:56 -0500
I called him "Moses"

For his age of 10 years he was still handsome. His former "caregiver"
had left him and his naked cagemate out side for the shelter mom to
pick up. We were lucky he ended up in our care.

He was still handsome silver with white mitts. Right now he is asleep,
asleep of the very old. The sleep of the very tired. He's in a fleece
lined sleepy sack, beside him is Remington, a big gentle McKid.
Remington is lying beside the sleepy sack where he can watch the
sleeping Moses. They certainly are an odd couple; Moses coming to the
end of his life and beside him is Remington, who is starting him new
life.

Moses and I have spent the evening reviewing and celebrating his life.
I thanked him for his all too brief visit here in KY. We watched some
Stargate reruns and chatted.

I told him of a wonderful place where he will run and dance and nap in
the shade beside a cool stream. A place in the cool grass where his fur
will once again be thick and lush. His legs will be strong and his eyes
will gleam with the vigor of a young kit.

It's good to see Remington watching over Moses in his final hours.
During these last of Moses time here I wish'd that I knew Moses' real
name.

I promised him I would look after his cage mate, and we would share
stories of Moses and the adventures they knew. I promised Moses he
would never be forgotten. I promised him I would in some small humble
way try to tell his story. I would always remember his white mitts,
and his pink nose with the marble spots. I promised to treasure his
sleeping sighs. I promised him his passing would be with dignity and
respect. I promised he would always be loved, no matter how short his
visit.

Remington checked once again on his newfound friend. Poor Remington
looked up at me as if to try to understand the problem with the
sleeping Moses nestled in a sleepy sack.

It will soon be time for Moses to run and dook the dance of the
Bridge. We will morn the passing of this remarkable little man, and
wish we had more time to watch him live the joy of a fur kid.

I guess this is the job we take on. Remington watches his pal sleep for
now how will I explain to Remington?

David & Sue and the Whirling Winchester Weezles