Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2007 01:34:36 -0400
The coolest grandma in town just got cooler. For the third time, Danee
DeVore recently welcomed a grandson into the world. And the delivery
experience of a grandchild ranks right up there with her favorite
ferret memory, helping to deliver her first litter of ferret kits.
Husband Rick and Danee have one son and live in Virginia, near to
her parents, as well as her brother and his family in Maryland.
Hob-knobbing in the country's capitol region, Danee likes to travel --
especially to Hawaii, where the weather is much more temperate than
in northern Virginia.

The first time I met Danee was in a hotel restaurant in Atlanta.
Joining a group of people and introduced myself. The purple-headed
woman next to me introduced herself as Danee DeVore. Having spent many
hours in conversation on the internet with Danee, this is NOT what I
expected. I quickly learned, however, that not much about Danee is what
you expect. No matter how high the bar is set she continues to raise
it. Extremely intelligent, she is an excellent photographer and potter.
She has "even taken her beautiful pottery pieces created in her
precious few hours of hobby time to enrich and support ferret shelters
and education," said one shelter operator who has benefited from
Danee's largesse. Danee also frequently shares images from her family
and ferrets with the ferret community and her work is truly remarkable.

The beautiful artwork Danee produces is only a small sliver of the
many facets of her personality. To relax, Danee fesses up to watching
television, but you may also catch her reading one of the Lord of
the Rings trilogy, her favorite books. Her appreciation of rock and
alternative music is also matched by her favorite movie -- Blue Velvet.
"The movie is really sick and perverted," she said, "but I think it is
David Lynch at his finest. I love the way the movie is done." But, no
matter what she does, playing with ferrets is always near the top of
her list.

We have all been victims of ferret math and Danee's experience is no
different. Like many of us, her foray into the ferret world "was never
a conscious decision -- it just happened. When my son was about 12 we
got 2 ferrets, mostly for him to have as pets. We got 2 because there
were 2 brothers. One was very dependant on the other. My son was afraid
that if we just got one of them, the one who was dependant would be
unhappy, regardless of which one we took." And, since this is the same
son who just made Danee a grandmother for the third time, that 12 year
old is long gone from home. Danee's devotion to ferrets has never
waned, however.

Tirelessly working on behalf of ferrets, Danee has contributed so much
to our knowledge of Aleutian's Disease Virus (ADV) in the domesticated
ferret that she is frequently called upon to educate both professional
and layman alike. Despite the rumors and misinformation that is
frequently tossed about, Danee works tirelessly to educate anyone who
is willing to learn. Not only is she a tremendous resource for ADV,
she has been a source of moral support and comfort for those ferret
owners who find themselves owned by ADV positive ferrets. She is very
knowledgeable about other ferret illnesses and conditions as well.
"Over the years she has been a great coach with rescue and personal
ferrets and has provided insight on everything from behavior advisement
to birthing," stated a well-known, respected shelter operator. Though
she knows so much, Danee is held in high esteem for the way she
"respects the scientific process and how she keeps an open mind when
investigating ferret health options," said one colleague.

Although always quiet in her efforts, Danee has also been an active
rescuer on several occasions. "Whether it is raising tens of thousands
of dollars to provide needed research for fighting ADV or rescue
efforts for unwanted ferrets Danee is always right there," said a
friend, It was Danee who was responsible for the events leading to
the ultimate rescue of two little Katrina survivors. She is remembered
by another friend as a very caring and giving individual who does
remarkable things. "During the past 8 years, I was fortunate enough
to share motel rooms at shows and symposiums with Danee her company
was always relaxed and supportive, she is indeed a genuine friend."

Not much gets this remarkable woman down. After getting thrown from
a horse and breaking her back, quite a memorable event, Danee has
continued to show her metal. The IFC is proud to have Health Issues
coordinator Danee Devore speak to the ferret community at this year's
symposium. And, we -- as well as numerous vets -- are also grateful
for the hard work she has donated to obtain continuing education (CEU)
credits for educational events for both the IFC and the American Ferret
Association (AFA). In the words of someone who knows her well, "She has
authored booklets to educate, written articles and ... held positions
on several prestigious ferret organizations and IMO her dedication has
gone pretty much unrecognized. I challenge folks to get to know Danee..
she is a friend of ferrets and of ferret lovers."

Oh -- and that grandson is not the only new baby in Danee's life. Ask
her about the new furkids the next time you see her. "They grow up so
fast," she sighed. So true.

--
renee :)
It's amazing how much can be accomplished if nobody cares who gets the