Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2007 23:10:51 -0500
Hello there. I hope little Panda does better soon. I had two ferrets
with insulinoma.

Just wanted to mention a couple of thoughts.

Make sure your vet continues to do blood glucose tests (normally done
with ferret fasted for 3 hours) to be sure she is on a high enough
level of pred. I would think the tests should be done at the very
least every month until her numbers are at least in the mid 80's.
Then you can test every couple of months, as over time the insulimoma
worsens and they need a higher dose of pred.

Some ferrets don't respond as well to the pred alone and need a combo
of pred and another med like diaoxide.

Also, the pred should not be given on an empty stomach, it can cause
an ulcer. Try to get Panda to have some duck soup first.

Good luck!!
Risa

PS So sorry your little one is going through this, it's an awful
disease but can be regulated. Make sure you know the signs of a "crash"
(sounds like you do). Someone recommended an over the counter pharmacy
item called Glutose 45. I had my local drug store carry it for me, it's
for human diabetics. But if your ferret goes into a comatose state from
a low bg this gel rubbed on their gums will help bring them out of it.