Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2007 03:03:14 -0500
Hello fml`ers, I am writing this to see if any viable suggestions for
one of my 'senior' ferts might work.

"Lukey", whom I have referred to before as my "Follically challenged"
7yr old albino, left adrenal removed, has lost and grew back his coat
twice, is now having bowel problems. He has started the 'birdseed
poop',(clear to bright yellow liquid with what resembles birdseed
in it). I know this basically means he is not 'using' the food`s
nutrients, and it is passing thru his system too quickly. I have tried
Pepto Bismol for a few days, that helped the birdseed poop for a bit,
but it came back. Then I tried something that probably will bring
"no-no`s" from the list,..."Imodium Advanced", a small amount crushed &
mixed into his ferretvite. This produced a firmer stool with the one
dose, but the stool was small in diameter, and he continues to eat &
poop about every 1/2 hour. I have researched, and it was suggested that
the kibble be stopped during this time, in favor of Gerber`s 2nd stage
turkey or chicken, Duck soup, and others. During all of this, he hardly
reaches the litter boxes in 2 connected cages he shares with another
7yr old and a 6 yr old, therefore leaving himself and the others
needing some cleaning 2 or 3 times a day. I don`t want to separate him,
as his "medium" coat of fur is helped for heat by the other two. I DO
know that "Imodium" is not to be used for a long period of time,(I only
dosed him once), and Pepto or Kaopectate I am not sure of, as the
instructions are not for animals. I know that I should take him again,
back to his vet, but I know a "decision", at this point, will have to
be made, and I`d like to avoid that. He is a slow mover, but alert,
will play for short periods, and still has some quality & dignity left
in him!

Can anyone suggest something to 'slow' up the 'travel' of his food thru
his system that is safe? This is one health situation I have not had in
my 19 yrs of being owned by ferrets, and I know the inevitable isn`t
that far away...... probably because of another MF produced musty.

Thanks ahead of time for any ideas. If you email me privately, please
insert "Lukey" in the subject line, so my 'suspect email' spaminator
doesn`t 'spit' you out!!

Again, Thanks!

John Rich & the n.j. gang of 5,...USA.
john rich <[log in to unmask]>