From:
"S.Hewett" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2007 19:24:51 +0800
I have been silent for as long as I can bear but so many things in
yesterday s FML touched me to the quick. Ferrets have a ZERO need
for carbohydrates, so how can potato be better than grain?

>Does anybody REALLY know what the exact food requirements are for
>ferrets? (besides being strict carnivores)

Carnivores eat other animals, not just muscle. The recipe for kibble
is based on a whole mouse. Because it is too expensive to provide
the exact nutrients for a mouse, carbohydrate fillers are used.
Carbohydrates are now being recognized as a cause of cancer. (If you
doubt this, just google carbs and cancer)

Kibble is an unnatural form for ferrets to eat and damages their teeth.

For your ferrets' sake, please consider a natural diet for your loved
ones. It will not cause them to die and it just may give them a longer
and healthier, pain-free life!!!

Still fighting for ferrets all over the world,
Shirley

[Moderator's note: While I agree your push for lower carb diets for
ferrets is admirable, one thing many FMLers don't want right now is a
repeat of the very recent "whole prey" discussion. Not that it wasn't
valuable discussion -- of course, much of it was -- but we need a bit
of variety on the FML. And when I finally get the programs written to
update the web archives it will all be available there (soon, I hope)!

Re Googling: be careful. Nearly ANY word in combination with "cancer"
will find references claiming causality. Please form opinions after
appropriate research and remember that overly broad terms may make it
difficult to establish clear relationships. (I mean this as a general
caution, not necessarily to support nor to dispute Shirley here!) BIG]