Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2007 11:29:04 -0600
This is how we got hit with kennel cough. Two different groups from
different locations, one from a dog/cat shelter, another from a
breeding facility in Texas. Distemper is a serious concern with ferrets
coming from dog/cat shelters. And now, from my experience, it appears
kennel cough is too. Most have come through the kennel cough but a few
seem to be hanging on to it or getting it back after the antibiotic is
stopped, so these little ones will be nebulized once daily.

I've unintentionally exposed my group to many contagions through the
years - ECE, coccidia, e-coli, salmonella, clostridium, ringworm,
and more. I wonder how many people think about the risks the ferret
shelters take each time they take in a ferret and the work involved if
the little one brings a contagion along. Ferret shelters do more than
just feed and clean cages for these little ones, they spend long hours
caring for them, special care for the old and depressed, and treating
those that are sick.

I wish more people would help their local shelters and more people
would adopt the homeless to make room at shelters for others that will
need them. I wish more people would become pro-active when it comes
to these precious little beings. They deserve so much more. sigh.

hugs to all.

tle
www.ferretfamilyservices.org