From:
Inge Nespolon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Nov 2006 11:39:22 -0500
Yesterday someone suggested we should stop the food discussions and get
back to "basics"!!!??!!!

I had a discussion with my five fuzzbutts and they tell me food is at
the top of their list!

I also think Shirley had a good thought..
How about we fight over cage versus free roam.

Let me start.

My five are free roam. They have access to the majority of our two
story house ,all ferret proofed, including the kitchen which my husband
has done an amazing job with. Some things such as carpeting the
stairway have cost a bit of money [easier and safer for them, and
thanks for the luge idea, Laura!] but worth every penny. Every now and
then I open a door to a closed bedroom and they think it is a party!

Some eat raw, some don't. Some have special diet needs. One needs to
stay away from any kibble.

They also do not all get along, but we manage. We do shifts. Luckily
some are morning guys and some prefer sleeping in. They have rooms
which provide complete darkness at night for what I am told are the
right amount of hours. I try my best not to expose them to artificial
light.

I just can not see putting them in a cage. I also find it very easy to
clean their litter boxes daily because they are not in a cage. Besides
their regular litter boxes, we have boot trays lined with newspaper in
the corners of every room, even on the stairway landing ,which they use
most of the time. I would imagine that a cage would be a horrible thing
to clean and I think injuries can be caused by them.

When we are not home, they are put into their rooms for their own
safety.

We also have dogs and cats who have learned to get along with the
ferrets.

I think I have covered all the reasons why some feel a cage would be
necessary.

With our bunch, we have managed and I think they are all the happier
and healthier for it.

Inge