Date:
Thu, 11 May 2006 16:36:57 -0400
I need advice on what to do regarding my Rocky.  Last summer, he started
losing some hair on his tail and it was full of blackheads.  The hair
loss was on the top of his tail starting near the tip to about halfway
up.  I washed it on and off.  Then, because I feared it could be adrenal
(overprotective mother), I started giving him melatonin in the winter,
since the hair hadn't grown back (although the blackheads were getting
better).  After a few weeks, his fur grew back on his tail.  I have
continued oral melatonin now for nearly 5 months.  His coat is soft,
thick and beautiful.  I don't know if it's the melatonin, or if it's
because I put the melatonin powder in Bob's Chicken Gravy and give it to
him everyday, often followed by some raw (hormone/antibiotic/cage free)
chicken.  He also eats a mixture of ferret kibble whenever he wants.

He doesn't now, and never had any other signs of adrenal disease, but I
figured it wouldn't hurt him.

So now I'm wondering, should I ask my vet to test for adrenal?  I've
heard that the Tenn. hormone panel can be thrown off by melatonin.
Should I have a sonogram?  Or should I just relax about it all since
Rocky looks and acts healthy and happy?  He turned 5 yrs old in
February.  He's my first and only ferret.

He last saw the vet in July 2005.

Thanks,
Shron & Rocky