From:
Marilyn Ledoux <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2006 13:56:41 -0400
The Ferretwise Summer Blow Out and Meet Up

For those of you who missed it, you missed one bang up party last
Saturday June 17.

Alicia has, among her other talents, the knack to throw a great party.
The food was fabulous, the company terrific, the drinks cold, very cold,
and it was fun, fun, fun all day.  She kept the conversation flowing,
the work was spread around so it was light and went fast, and the weather
was excellent.  We worked in a cool mist (off the power washer) so no one
even broke a sweat.

To start the day off on the right paw, the first power washer Shelter Dad
rented, didn't work, so Shelter Dad Dino had to go get another one.  We
moved ferrets, stripped cages, washed and scrubbed, made jokes about each
other, and everyone laughed loud and long.  While we washed cages, poop
pans, water bottles, and dishes, Alicia ran the washer and dryer non-stop
cleaning ferret rugs, hammy's and bedding.  With everyone helping, it was
quick and easy work.

As we were finishing up, we went into the little room off of the shelter
where I began to wash the last of the litter pans.

Alicia, who would not complain, was forced to tell me about the water.
As I turned on the tap, nothing happened, jiggle, jiggle, - still
nothing.  "Alicia," I yelled, over the air conditioner, "What happened
to the water?"

It seems a good hearted soul, who was not exactly a board certified
plumber, said they would help Alicia and the ferrets with some plumbing
issues for FREE.  The up side is, there are no leaks in the pipes.  The
down side is, there is no water either.

In desperation, I took a bucket I found in the garage, and went inside
the house.  Now the buckets are another story.  There were two, one
inside of the other.  So I pulled out the inside one, and took off for
the john and a tub where I could fit this big bucket under the tap.

Once in the bathroom, I put the bucket in the tub and turned on the tap.
After a few minutes, it began to drip.  Seems the power washer was going
full blast, the washer was sucking up the extra, and someone left the
toilet chain running.  Unless you are blest with a toilet that requires
you to jiggle it, you just don't think about it.  The already
non-existent water was down to vapors.

The plumber did not fix the plumbing properly in the first place, and
while there are gallons of water in the street just waiting to run
through the water meter, because of the free plumbing, it can't.  Until
now, Alicia has been working with this problem, and never told a soul.

I cannot believe Alicia has been putting up with this since 1997, I
think that is what she said.  She never complained, just made do with
what she had.

Back to my bucket.  I had 20 drops in it by now, and all that water was
teasing my brain, so I decided to "shed a tear" myself.  I no sooner got
my duff on the seat of the non running toilet,(I jiggled and stopped the
doohickey from running,) when the water shut off somewhere else in the
house and the surplus came through the tub faucet like something out of
a cannon.  I had to jump up, run with my pants down over to the tub and
shut the water down.  I cannot run very fast in that condition, but I
made it before the bucket tipped over.

I eased the water on but, alas, I was back to a trickle again.  I decided
to take what I had and go back to the party.  I picked up the bucket, and
then I found out why there were two buckets stuck together in the first
place.  What little water I had managed to gather, was now filling up my
shoe.  The buckets were together because one had a crack in it.  We were
still having fun.

Back at the party, we were ready for lunch.  The hot dogs, cooked by
Shelter Dad, were the BEST I have ever had.  Done to perfection, and
super tasty.  Greg Jandis brought German potato salad, his German
grandmother's receipt, and it was yummy.  We were trying to get him to
part with the receipt.

There was a vegetable salad, green salad, regular potato salad, the old
fashioned big, whole pickles, ( I have not had one of those pickles all
to myself since I was a kid) very cold soda or water, chips, and for
dessert, brownies, 6 different kinds of cookies, and melt-in-your-mouth
fudge.  We ate till we were stuffed.  I LOVE potato salad, had TWO
helpings of each, and was sad I could not fit in any more.  My motto is
"Life is short, eat dessert first", but try as I would, I simply could
not fit in one more bite of those "to die for" potato salads.  We all
decided we would invite Greg to ANY function we had as long as he brings
his grandmothers potato salad.

For your next function, Shelter Dad is your super grill man.  He cooked
the hot dogs to order.  As a special request, he served up hot dogs that
were twice cooked, crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside.  They
were hot and spicy.  Makes my mouth water just thinking about them.  They
were way above the ball park variety, and the regular steamed ones you
can feed to the real dog.  Dino's dogs are a must at any party.

All in all, it was a real fun way to start the summer, and we had such a
good time, we are going to do it again in the fall.  You will NOT want to
miss this one.

To be sure you do not miss the end of summer blow-out, come to the ferret
meet ups each month.  If you want to run with the In Crowd, it is the
only place to be.

Hospice Mom Marilyn, for those of you who do not know me, I'm the one
with the water logged shoe.