From:
Laura Melton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2006 08:09:41 -0500
Hello all!

Here I go again and I'll try to keep this one short.  I have been looking
into providing a more healthful diet for our babies.  They are currently
on a mix of Purina 1 kitten, Science Diet kitten, and Totally Ferret.  I
will probably keep the Totally Ferret, possible the Science Diet, and
add one of the Innova Evo diets.  (I *love* Evo s philosophy of "for
people who would like to feed raw, but can't", or something similar.)
I've followed the discussion about the "new" Evo ferret diet, which
brings me to my first question: since none of my fuzzies have any
allergies (that I'm aware of) would I be better off trying to get the
ferret formula?  I saw something mentioned about a choking hazard with
the cat diet, due to the shape of the pieces.  I am not sure if either
is even available in my area and Evo apparently doesn't list sites which
sell their diet on-line.  Can anyone provide any of these?

We are also looking into the Wysong Archetypal diets, which I   ve heard
wonderful things about:
<http://wysong.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=WOTTPWS
&Category_Code=FERR>

Regarding these diets, I would appreciate any opinions or input from
those on the list who are more nutrition knowledgeable than I am,
although I've been giving myself a crash course in the dietary needs
of the ferret!

Wysong also offers a series of Rx prescription diets, one of which is
called Adrevar, which is "designed to provide nutritional support to the
adrenal gland."  I thought this might serve as a preventative towards
adrenal problems or be good for ferrets recovering from surgery or
otherwise dealing with adrenal disease.  I believe the prescription
diets have to be ordered through your veterinarian, but if it would
work as a preventative, it might be worth the cost and effort!  Here's
a link to a PDF file on Adrevar:
http://www.wysong.net/PDFs/adrevar.pdf
You ll need Adobe Acrobat to view it, of course.  Again, I would
appreciate some opinions and info on these diets.

Thanks!

Laura & Ed
(Plus Miss Mollers, Bonita Nonobadferret, and Bandito Gigante)