From:
Leslie Cucino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2006 10:45:54 -0400
From:    Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>

I've always heard that some cities have listed ferrets as illegal.

So I'm wondering, if there is a resource out there that lists illegal
places that is up to date.  I have a friend that found a site that
lists them but it's like ten years old if I recall.  Who do you call
for your area without risking anything?  Where do you start since so
many times the gov themselves don't even know about ferret illegality?

When my ferret population exceeded the number of non-fuzzy family
members, I took to the internet and found my local governments city
ordinances.  I also found a state web page listing the general laws.
In my state ferrets are allowed, as long as they are descented and
neutered.  You can not breed them.  That's state law.  Local law, or
'ordinances' are at the local level, or at least that's how it works
here.  You have a hierarchy: Federal>State>County (sometimes)>local
(meaning towns/cities).  In my city, the only animal ordinances relate
to dogs and cats, how many you can have, how they must be housed, etc.
There are no regulations to ferts.  Just about anything you need you
should be able to find on local and state web pages under local
ordinances, bylaws, general laws, that sort of thing.