From:
Sandra Fox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2006 22:45:16 -0700
I took part of my vacation time to visit Alicia and Dino at Ferret Wise
shelter.  They are so very dedicated to the welfare of the animals in
their care!  Saturday I arrived and helped with the shelter bake sale at
Petco.  Four volunteers and Alicia set up tables and encouraged people
to buy goodies.  Everyone pitched in, making enough baked goods and gift
baskets to cover two tables.  The manager and several employees quickly
made purchases and were very supportive of our efforts.  Alicia had
printed up a large number of flyers.  Several people mentioned coming in
because of them.  It was nice to see support coming in from the
community.  Since this is a very small area she doesn't have the same
financial and labor resources frequently available in larger towns.

In spite of the rain (or maybe because of it), a good number of people
came through the store and supported us.  Alicia had the opportunity to
educate a ferret owner, which as we know, is the best way to keep more
ferrets from being abused and abandonded.  All five of us were kept quite
busy.  We also had a good time talking to each other as well as the
customers.

There is still a long way to go to cover all the recent vet expenses and
upcoming surgeries, but the money raised will help with Lucky's surgery.
Of course, Alicia may never want to bake again...;) Hopefully donations
will come in soon to help these needy animals.

It's great spending time with friends who love ferrets.  I have about
another week of vacation left and will be travelling part of the time.
When I get home I'll write a little about my "Vacation at Ferret Wise!"