From:
Cara Grib <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2006 06:48:25 -0700
You may have noticed my two posts in the past 6 weeks about losing first
Rothgar, then Stella.  Since we are moving into a new phase of life
(professional careers, starting a family, etc.) we decided not to get
any new ferrets.  We were both heartbroken, but we decided our ferret
days were coming to an end with our remaining Edgar, who is 5.  We love
our little guy, but the thought of continuing with more ferrets is so
hard given we just lost 2 in less than 6 weeks.

Well, enter our friend who we let stay with us while he got back on his
feet.  Yesterday he gave us our "Thank You" gift - a 3-month old albino
male kit he purchased from the pet store.  Our hearts just sank and we
are devasted.  It is so wrong on so many levels - you don't GIVE
someone a pet without asking nor do you buy a ferret when there is an
overpopulated shelter not more than 30 minutes away.  We don't know what
to do.  On the one hand our friend thought it would make us feel better
after losing the two and we enjoy our ferrets.  But, how can we go
through all of it again?  And, being a kit, oh my gosh, we had forgotten
how crazy, destructive, excited, hyper they were and let me tell you,
there is no slowing this one down.  Our busy lives just won't be able to
give him the attention he needs and deserves.  With Edgar, he plays for
40 minutes and puts himself back to bed.  This guy needs at least 2-3
hours of play time and we just don't have that.  And we don't want him
to be a shelter baby.  He deserves more.

We don't know what to do.  Any suggestions or advice?  I really don't
care if you flame me - I will delete your emails.  But, this was not
our choice and quite frankly, we decided the other way.

Thanks,
Cara, John, Edgar, and Scrag (the new one)