From:
Morning Starr Animal Sanctuary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2006 08:00:22 -0700
Dear Steph and Pooh

We have a ferret here at the sanctuary that is 9 and a half years old.
We have cared for many at the end that were between 8 to 10 years old.
Usually when we see that they are slowing down and having trouble getting
into the litter box we move them to what we call "assisted living."  This
means that the litter box is cut out on the side so it is easier for them
to get into.  Also, newspaper goes all over the bottom of the one level
cage because it is sometimes hard for them to get to the litter.  I keep
baby wipes on hand for the messy times.  Usually the hammock comes down
and is exchanged for a nice cozy flat bed with a nice soft blanket.  Food
and water dishes are lower for easy access.  Their play time is not as
long as the young ones but they still sometimes like to play with the
other ferrets for a short time.  When they become too weak and you can
see that there is no quality of life, that is the time to make the
decision.  You will know.

Fran C. Freedman, President & Co-Founder
Morning Starr Animal Sanctuary
"A New Beginning..."
www.morningstarr.org

You may contact us at: 928-821-2420 or email: [log in to unmask] or
mail: P.O. Box 1363, Cornville, AZ 86325