From:
HannahBelle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2006 13:10:34 -0800
I really feel bad for you for feeling that way, Birgit.  What other
things should my ferret not do "for fun" because he's not a human or
because it's not natural?

Please tell him that he can no longer jump in the shower with me, or
steal sips out of my water glass.  The gajillion toys and tents and
tunnels he has are also "not natural."  Neither is sleeping in bed with
us or wrestling with his sister (our dog) every day.

I am not trying to change my ferret or to make him into something he is
not by dressing him up.  He loves the attention and doesn't mind wearing
the clothes; it's like they aren't even on him!  Seeing a picture of
Riley in his raincoat is what convinced my grandmother that perhaps
ferrets weren't just smelly, vicious wild animals.

Haven't you ever noticed that your ferret feels what you're feeling?
Rather than be embarrassed by wearing a cute outfit, Riley seems happy
that he can make me smile and laugh (and I'm not laughing *at* him, I
just find it fun to dress him up).  I am not a mind-reader and no, I
don't know for sure that he loves it, but it sure seems that way.

I would much rather see someone take wonderful care of their ferret -
feed it only the best foods, give it the best medical care, and let it
free-roam - and dress it up once in a while, than someone who leaves
their ferret to rot in a cage.  You will not meet a more pampered and
adored ferret than mine.  He has a huge Ferret Nation cage but he's a
houseferret and is never locked in it.  He only eats the best kibble and
treats.  He comes everywhere with me, and I do treat him like a little
human, but that's because I love him.  I do indeed realize that he's
*not* a little human, but what's so wrong with babytalk and cooking him
warm suppers and taking pictures of him in a Santa hat for our Christmas
cards?

Hannah & Riley
http://rileyrox.livejournal.com
http://ferretus.photosite.com/rileyrox/