From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Feb 2006 13:15:11 -0500
Gerri, is it possible that there is a silent carrier of a bacterial sinus
infection in your house?  We had that happen once with a human being the
"typhoid mary" of bacterial sinus infections here.  Once that person was
also the treated the rest of us stopped getting the infection over and
over.

I hope that Jasmine forgives you about having to take meds soon!

Her favourite passtime has always been to stash food....
an enormous pile of meat, chicks, mice etc in various stages of decay.

LOL!  You are right, Shirley.  Kibble is better that way (as a stash) --
unless it gets wet in which case it stinks and gets moldy, or gets grain
beetles or mold beetles.  Still, I think what you went through is worse
than what we get with kibble here in terms of odor and arthropod feeders.

I can tell you that a stashed tiny bit of banana will stink up an
entire small house if it rots wrong, though.  We had one who needed
it for potassium during a year plus of cardiomyopathy.  The stink was
unimaginable.  I strongly advise that when a ferret gets banana be SURE
that you know that it has been eaten.

Anthony wrote:
So wether we feed kibble, cooked chicken, raw chicken, or freeze-dried
mice, can we all agree it is a personal decision for each ferret owner
to determine what they believe is best for their pet?  And can we all
agree we can be skeptical of other feeding methods without resorting
to negating the merits of them?  And, most of all, as we all have a
right to our opinions, can we agree to keep fair criticism aimed at
posters' arguments, not their persona or credentials?

and Krista wrote:
So this is starting to get a bit out of hand.  Let's just stick to the
facts and/or valid opinions for pros and cons for each diet instead of
personal insults, etc.

You are both exactly right and I think that things are now finally moving
in that direction, fortunately, given what was learned in some of the
private discussions I had today and yesterday with some people who
behaved otherwise earlier.  I found out that providing info on treatments
and a simple statement getting across that experiences can change and
sadly not always for the better was seen as desiring the death of some
ferrets, and that a heads up on something which had nothing to do with
any list in particular and was not a criticism, and as far as I knew was
discussed fully at the time seems to have either not been communicated
clearly and I never knew it at the time or mutated in reflection, which
certainly can happen when a long time frame is involved.  I think things
are back to normal again, with FMLers respecting each others'
intelligence and choices.

Personally, though, I am tired.  Going into more detail at a time when
I have a lot of extra work for a while is beyond me, so I hope that
everyone will now feel safe enough to speak once again, and that you
do so -- fairly and on-topic.  The FML is for everyone here.

-- Sukie (not a vet)
Ferret Health List co-moderator
FHL Archives fan
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/