From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2006 13:21:56 -0500
Ferrets don't get colds (established fact; check past vet pathology
posts on rhinoviruses).

They do get some things that can be mistaken for colds, including but
not limited to  bacterial sinus infections and influenza.  There is a
lot on respiratory problems in the archives.

Allergies sometimes also occur in ferrets.

Certainly, there is also a boatload of information on ferrets who suffer
respiratory problems due to living with tobacco or marijuana smoke, or
both.

Also always remember that is not unusual for people to mistake things
that cause ascites for lung disease because of how ascites can affect the
lungs.  It is always important to find the cause of ascites and treat it.
Heart disease is the most common cause of ascites, but is not the only
possible cause.

Yes, ferrets mourn, so a lot of extra loving attention is called for.
A lot, please.

Some things take time, too.  Make sure he keeps eating.  Patiently finger
feed him meat purees while singing to him or talking softly.

Two years ago this last summer we lost Chiclet to DIM.  She died here at
home, with a mercy shot during an emergency vet housecall after her fever
damaged her brain.  Last night I asked Hilbert who also came to us at
the same time as Chiclet when they were kits if he remembered Chiclet.
It was obvious that he immediately keyed on her name.  He looked a bit
upset, but not anxiously so, and then he let out a big sigh and laid
his head on my shoulder.  They mourn and they remember.

-- Sukie (not a vet)
Ferret Health List co-moderator
FHL Archives fan
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/