From:
Florence Love <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 2006 09:39:39 -0500
What is the Ferret Community going to do?

We continue to read message on the FML from shelters asking someone
to please help.  It continued to be a tough year for several of the
wonderful shelter Moms and Dads.  Now one more shelter is closing.

In Alabama there is only one shelter for the whole state.  Today on our
GA Yahoo Groups we received a message that all employees at this shelter
Moms work got their 3 week notice this week, that their company is
closing.  She has single handedly kept this shelter operating since I met
her over 4 years ago (got one of her oldster on the Giving Tree).  With
her only source of income coming to an end, she is closing her shelter
because of lack of funding, lack of volunteer help, and lack of caring.
She has had several extensive personal surgeries (all complications from
first surgery, from what I understand) in the last 4 months.  She has
had more to handle all by herself that most people have to handle in a
lifetime.  I know there must be ferret owners in the state of Alabama
because there are stores selling them in Alabama and she continued to
get in the old, ill and on rare occasions young ferrets.

Atlanta area people are too far away to help on a weekly basis.  I have
seen posting on the FML where she begged for help for the ferrets.  She
even went as far as to say something like this.  You do not have to like
me, but please do it for the ferrets.  I know her and she is extremely
easy to like, so I can not imagine why there are no people who live
nearby willing to help.  She even posted on our Yahoo Group this past
month and said that her son would do a Bar-B-Q cookout for the last
weekend of January if people would just come and help, and she would
handle the food stuff.

My heart is breaking.  All I can do is sew bedding and send care packages
to her when possible.  Soooooo, I guess my questions to everyone (and
myself).  Is:

What can each of us do to help support the continued existence of the
shelter near us?  Do we care enough for the shelter ferrets??  (I can't
imagine my life without my first adopted boy, Paco) If not, who will be
the next shelter to close because of lack of our caring??  Which one of
us will open a shelter to replace them?  And how soon will we give up
because of lack of caring and help?

I am not eloquent at writing, and I know that I am a very insignificant
part of the ferret community, but my heart is sad at this moment and I
had to let others know.

Here is her information:
Sandi Robinson
334-983-1623
Midland City, AL  36350

Sandi does not know that I posted this, but I could not standby and say
nothing.  She will have to adopt/place the ferrets that are currently at
her shelter and pay off her vet bill.  So please help if you are in her
area, and can be of assistance until she moves (she is losing her home).
If you are a shelter nearby, (I know you are already stretched also)
please see what can be done to help.

Thanks for reading and possibly helping,
Florence Love