From:
FerretMomJC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Sep 2005 08:45:49 -0700
An update on the 6 New Orleans ferrets who are at The Ferret Haven.
After the initial crisis of dehydration, upper respiratory & bladder
infections, fleas & ear mites was over, this group was asking to come
out to play.

I built out a separate play area for them with short studded walls, vinyl
flooring and new toys, not wanting any cross contamination of their
illnesses to mine or mine to them.  These guys played like they had not
been out in years.  There was no hesitation, no sniffing around.....it
was Woo-Hoo.......lets play!!!!!!

Ewwww - round two of mystery illness, most of them came down with brown
jello-like poopies.  No parasites found and it all cleared up after a few
days.  I now feel that I have 6 relatively healthy newcomers with Peanut
being on Pred for insulinoma, 4 of them receiving melatonin implants, all
vaccinated and all the other meds and fluids now completed.  There is one
exception - one has either a hairball or another soft foreign body in his
stomach.  Now that he's in pretty good shape, after giving much thought
to the fact that I have not heard from their owners yet, I've decided to
go ahead and do surgery since this is what I would do with any ferret who
was signed over to me as it's in the ferrets best interest.

On behalf of Peanut, Mardi, Zoom-Zoom, Jacques, Frenchie and Bob, I would
like to thank everyone who sent or organized for others to send toys,
bedding, food, needles and other supplies and even a Home Depot card in
support of these ferrets.  SOS and IFC - thank you for everything -
including and especially your e-mails of concern and support.  It would
have been very difficult without your help and I was overwhelmed with
exactly how many people offered assistance.  For those of you who I
turned away, saying that I had my share and to hold off to share with
others in need, I thank you for your offers as well.  Our ferret
community has truly shown that we are is caring and generous and that
we are able to organize together quickly to meet any need.  I will send
official, individual thank-yous via the mail, along with pictures
shortly.

JerriCarel
The Ferret Haven