Date:
Fri, 9 Sep 2005 12:03:42 -0600
I don't know whether or not animals have souls.  And neither do you.
That's the beauty of God, isn't it?  He never told us that a man was
worth more than a chipmunk, did he?  Now, if Creationists are correct,
God made both man and beast.  And he made the beast first, no less.  I
know, he was setting up the entire planet to be used by man, as man sees
fit... ahem.  Now, how does anyone know this?  I never got the telegram.
And again, neither did you.  God purposely left out lots of information
that people try to write in.  That's probably why I have more compassion
for animals than I do people; animals lack that quality we're so proud
of - arrogance.

Buddhists believe that all life is the same.  Now, again, I don't know if
it is or it isn't, but the distinction that some life is worth more than
other life is a bit obscene to me.  If I had to choose my life over that
of a lab mouse, I would choose mine.  Why?  Because it's me!  Of COURSE
I would choose me.  But that doesn't mean I'm worth more.  I'm not any
different than a lion who chooses itself over a gazelle.  I want to live.
It is that sense that makes me exactly the same as any animal.  And if
I, at some juncture, decide that some animal is more important than I
am, then that's what I'll decide.  But make no mistake.  These are all
arbitrary decisions.

Sometimes when we make these kinds of decisions, it's called racism.  Why
would God make a boatload of people, and then decide some were worth more
than others?  He wouldn't, would he?  So, take it a step further - God
made a planet full of living things.  Why would he decide some were more
important, or worth more than others?

Oh, but creation is all about people.  People are morally worth more than
other living beings because they have the capacity, wisdom, and strength
to help other living beings at God's behest, right?  Better think again.
Right now, inside of us, we have zillions of bacteria helping us sustain
our own lives.  Brainless, morally bankrupt bacteria.  Without them we
would die.  Pretty important little buggers, huh?  So much for the
'people being stronger and morally superior' theory...

I've read of dogs who have saved their masters.  I know of people who
have rescued horses.  And I have personally known of ferrets who have
sustained the sanity of their keeper ;)  I'm glad for all of it.

The bottom line is this; I don't know who should get into the boat.  I
don't know who has a soul or doesn't.  What if it's just me or you
getting into the boat?  Who goes then?  Why you, of course.  No, me?
No, after you.  Hell, just get in the damn boat and sit on my lap!

And that's my point.  We all have to be really careful when we make that
decision.  It is not a divine right.  It's just a decision.  God has left
us many blanks.  We need to be careful how we fill in those blanks, and
how we make those decisions.  God is nowhere as stupid as we make him out
to be.  Just because we don't know, doesn't mean that He doesn't.  So get
in the boat, already, and sit on my lap.  I think there's probably room.

Roary
Albuquerque, NM
blog - http://ferretphilosophy.blogspot.com/

ps.  Only a few more days til the FML 5000th (sounds like a long NASCAR
race, doesn't it?  Why do I feel like I should be tuning my engine?)

Donation information and progress here:
http://www.geocities.com/imdella/fml5000.html