Date:
Wed, 21 Sep 2005 23:34:54 -0600
Comments for the USDA Standards for Ferrets have been extended until
November 18th, 2005.  We have almost 300 comments posted on the eDocket
site.

I don't know whether to say that's bad or good, considering the vast
numbers of people who keep ferrets, but I am thankful for all those who
have taken the time and energy to do their part to look out for ferrets.
It's quite possible they have extended the deadline because they saw a
flicker of interest.  They are giving us every chance to inform them of
the various problems that ferrets, especially kits, endure each and every
day.  This flicker should become a flame.

Maybe we could concentrate in another direction.  I would guess that it's
safe to say that almost all people who keep ferrets have taken their
ferrets to see a veterinarian at one time or another.  While the USDA is
looking for public interest and opinion, they are also looking for hard
guidelines on which to base their regulations.  Any rules and regulations
that the USDA would propose would need to have a basis in science, and
veterinarians would be the best source for that basis.

Contact your veterinarian and inform him of the proposed standards being
put forth by the USDA.  I am sure that many veterinarians are not even
aware that this is being considered.  Talk to your ferret's veterinarian,
and let him or her know what's going on.  Let him or her know that their
expert opinions are needed.  It would take very little of your time, and
would go a long way in helping protect our ferrets, via the USDA's
Standards for Ferrets open comment period.

If you have not told your story, or given your comment, it is not too
late.

Remember, there are hundreds of kits in crates right now, either waiting
to be shipped or in the process of being shipped.  They are in the air.
They are in air cargo holding areas.  Some are sick, with unhealed
incisions.  Some are dehydrated and stressed, traveling 20 or more to
a crate.  Almost all of these kits are too young to be where they are.
These kits should still be nursing, not flying in airplanes.

Some die, even before they reach the pet stores.  The ferret farms
consider these deaths to be an acceptable and anticipated cost of doing
business.  I do not consider this "acceptable."  We have an opportunity
to sound our voice and stop this.  Our ferrets do not.  They deserve
better than this.  Through the FML, we have given ferrets over $8,000 in
aid and support.  Surely, we can give them a few words.

USDA's Standards for Ferrets eDocket:
http://docket.epa.gov/edkfed/do/
EDKStaffCollectionDetailViewByID?collectionId=APHIS-2005-0063

Snail mail address:

Docket No. 04-088-1
Regulatory Analysis and Development
PPD APHIS Station 3C71
4700 River Road, Unit 118
Riverdale, MD 20737-1238

(make sure to enclose 4 copies of your letter)

Roary
Albuquerque, NM
blog - http://ferretphilosophy.blogspot.com/