From:
Kris Kriskius <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Sep 2005 10:14:24 EDT
There is something that has happened in the ferret community that
concerns me, and I guess I am venting and looking for other opinions.

This has to do with the *Katrina* ferrets.

As we all know many shelters have opened their doors for these poor
lost ferrets, and that is wonderful!  Those who know me know I support
shelters, so please keep in mind this is not a flame towards shelters.
We also know that people have been involved with rescuing the little
ones.  I too have been involved with rescue.  So in a way I do know what
that is like.  This is not a flame towards the rescuers either.

To reiterate, this is not a flame towards anyone in particular. It is a
concern, based on my opinion and what I have witnessed.

A situation happened soon after a Katrina rescue, (and there are posts
to back this up) that I just can't stop thinking about.  It is my
understanding that one certain ferret (that was rescued) was *placed*
*adopted* to a home, before any effort was made to find its original
owners.  On top of that, this ferret does need adrenal surgery, and is
scheduled for that on Monday.  I realize if surgery is needed, then this
may be a good decision, but... How would you feel?  I can't stop thinking
if that was one of my ferrets, how devastated I would be to find that a
well known *committee* that was *helping* made the decision to place my
ferret into a home without my consent this soon after the Katrina
disaster.

Sure there is the sad chance that some of those owners are dead, or there
is that chance that they will not be able to get back up on their feet
for a while.  But placing and or adopting those animals out in my opinion
should be the LAST thing considered at this time.  I believe there should
be some sort of time period in place with all of those who are sheltering
and rescuing the Katrina ferrets.  And honestly I am surprised that there
isn't.

I have seen that some shelters have a 30 day time period set before they
consider adoption; (thank you!) however that doesn't seem to be all of
them.  And as far as the rescuers, I am not too sure if this has been
considered, since I have mentioned a ferret has already been placed into
a home.

I believe Louisiana has enforced a 30 day rule regarding lost/found
pets?  But I could be wrong.

What do you all think?

Please keep in mind that I am not criticizing those who are helping.  I
can't imagine what the situation is like, since I am not there.  But for
Gods sake, don't forget the humans who may have lost everything, then to
find out on top of that their animals are still alive but lost to the
system, that (IMO) didn't seem compassionate enough to find them.

I live in a home that does not have a basement; I also live in a tornado
zone.  If any natural disaster happens in my area, please try to find me
before you make the decision to place my pets?

Thank you.
Kris