From:
"Dawn Smith, LOS National" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Sep 2005 09:58:05 EDT
>The LOS, for instance, doesn't require Distemper or ADV testing,
>although they are now encouraging both.They clean after judging each
>ferret, and if you don't participate in the "fun matches" and keep your
>ferret to itself except for judging, you have little to worry about.

LOS REQUIRES DISTEMPER SHOTS.  However, we strongly recommend that you
vaccinate for Rabies and ADV Test.  Currently over 90% that show,
honestly ADV test.  We have several new people showing throughout the
year, these people are educated on how to test and the importance of
Rabies Shots.  Some vets in my area of PA and Parts of NJ, don't know
that you can vaccinate a ferret for rabies.  By allowing exhibitors to
be educated on proper maintenance, diet, vaccinations, etc., many vets
are now learning that they can vaccinate ferrets for rabies.  As silly
as it sounds, last year I got two phone calls from vets asking me when
rabies vaccines were okay for ferret.

Now in reference to selling ferrets, all who sell at the shows, do need
to provide ADV testing.  They all need to provide paperwork including
proof of distemper vaccinations.  Ferrets over the age of 5 being adopted
out, need to have a health certificate within 10 days of the show.

As for fun matches, if anyone has watched our fun matches, we have
sterlizing in between each set, which means the baskets, scale, table,
floor, etc., are disinfected.  The paper bag escape - bags are tossed
after each ferret unless that ferret is competing again.  In this past
year, we have been probably going overboard but it's essential that we
maintain a clean environment.  Also FYI, LOS does not or ever has, like
other shows have, provide a playpen for all ferrets to roam in together.
This was done at other shows and somehow associated to our shows.  LOS
wants to ensure that your ferrets as well as mine are in a safe
environment.

All Ferrets are health checked (I mean all ferrets, I am not excluded) at
all of our shows.  Though the public should not be oblivous to bringing
in a flea infested ferret or one that is sick, some people just don't
know or realize something is wrong.  Three years ago, a gentlemen come to
the doors that had a ferret suffering from heat stroke.  I asked that man
to bring the ferret to a vet immediately.  He left and did so.  If we had
not been checking and doing a health check, that ferret might have passed
on.  But anyone needs or wants further information on our proceedures or
requirements, please email me at [log in to unmask] or

(PS - I think Carol, meant to say Rabies and ADV testing, not Distemper
and ADV testing.)